New Plaster Problem - help needed please!

Celiar0";p="3333107 said:
Can just imagine this conversation tonight. Not only am I going to ask him to put it right but I'm going to be asking him to do it by hand as well!

Nono, if he's willing to do it I'd leave it to him to decide how he prefers to do it.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
would it be an option to simply skim over it again?
it's already pva'd after all :)

A decent plasterer will make much less mess and take less time that sanding.

Nono, if he's willing to do it I'd leave it to him to decide how he prefers to do it.

OK, point taken there too, got to get him to agree to doing it first. Ah well, 5pm approaches. Wish me luck. I'll get back to this forum afterwards to let you know the result.

it's already pva'd after all.

I'm sure you're right kjacko but the new plaster was already a skim coat. I don't think it's a good idea to re-skim a skim. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me. Might be worth knowing anyway.

Sponsored Links
Well, 5 o'clock came and went. I've just got a text from him to say he can't come tonight after all, so he's coming tomorrow night. 24 hours more to wait. . . . . . .

I am new to this forum so hi to everyone and I would be grateful if someone could help with the problem I have.

However the paint was not covering well and the majority was streaking or sliding off the paint and pva mix beneath, despite several coats.

the vinyl silk emulsion I've got a double whammy!

Question is, what do I do now?
I would try Zinsser bulls eye 123 - it will stick to shiny surfaces , it's water based and odourless. :idea:

I'd ask the bloke to pay for it tho, that stuff is expensive! Hope bathroom not too big...

it's already pva'd after all.

I'm sure you're right kjacko but the new plaster was already a skim coat. I don't think it's a good idea to re-skim a skim. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me. Might be worth knowing anyway.

There's no issue with skimming over again, as long as its pva'd first. ;)
The only issue i can see is that you are adding layers to the wall and that may then come proud of other parts of your room, eg. tile or bead edge.

Pretty sure the skimmers on here will agree that re-skimming is not an issue. (hope so anyway :) )

The fitter didn't come. I got a text from him yesterday afternoon saying he can't come till next week! He keeps saying in texts that he's got too much on at the moment and can't cope and it's making him ill so I don't think he's going to be happy when I tell him about the pva'd walls and ceiling that I want him to fix!

I am wondering how much it would cost me to get a painter/decorator in to do it.

A re-skim is not the answer, I feel, because as kjacko says it will add layers and affect the trim on the edge of the tiles etc.

As I said before, got a headache.

Oil undercoat and leave it a week. Works for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back