New Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have just had a porch and small bedroom re skimmed and have a couple of questions please.

There is a small area in the porch that was plastered that has dried out too quickly which I guess is either due to being plastered over the sandy render stuff or me forgetting to turn the central heating off. I have been left with lots of cracks. It does look aweful but the plaster is stuck solid to the wall so can I just filler the cracks and paint over as normal?

What paint should I buy to use for the mist coat and a 2nd coat? I will be finishing off with Dulux Brilliant white Matt. The stores I have available are Wickes, Homebase or Jewsons.

How much should I water down the mist coat and the 2nd coat?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
i would use easy fill, to fill the cracks and rub down after. get matt white paint for a base coat with about 30/40% water, give it two quick coats then paint over normal. make sure you leave the plaster for as long as possible to dry out.

As long as the plaster has not de-laminated, a little Easyfill should cover them but you won't know till you try it; leave a skim 10-14 days before painting. Cheap own brand matt is fine for misting but I thin 25-30% (40% is rather on the thin side!) & apply 2-3 coats in quick succession. Leave to dry thoroughly before applying your finish coats.

Sponsored Links
As long as the plaster has not de-laminated,

Sorry to be thick but what do you mean by this?

The cracks have come to the surface and are open but the plaster is stuck to the wall well enough. A couple of hollow sounds but hardly any to be honest. Was going to just fill and paint over and see what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back