New plug sockets and electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our kitchen done. Including installing some new plug sockets and installing a new electric cooker where there was no cooker before (so all new wiring).

What certification do we need and what qualification does the electrician need? My bulder's electrician apparently can't self-certify, but after reading up on it online I'm thoroughly confused!

Sponsored Links
What certification do we need
You will (should) receive an Electrical Installation Certificate plus Schedules of Inspection and Test Results from the electrician and then:

If the electrician is registered (for Self-certification), a Certificate of Compliance fro the registration Body.

If the electrician is not registered, you must notify the Local Authority and pay their fee of £200 to £400 depending on where you live. After the electrician supplies his Certificates and Schedules, you will receive a Certificate of Completion.

As you can see, it is easier and cheaper to employ a registered electrician.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

and what qualification does the electrician need?
He doesn't actually need any. Personal recommendations are best or choose one from the above link.

My bulder's electrician apparently can't self-certify, but after reading up on it online I'm thoroughly confused!
That's hardly surprising. It's not supposed to make sense but it is the law.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back