New Potterton EP2 for an old Potterton EP6000 programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ideal Classic NF70 boiler which has been using a EP6000 electronic programmer since 1992 but unfortunately having run out of flat 48 volt relays to replace on the PCB it has to go.
Have now purchased a new Potterton EP2 programmer and have placed this on the original backplate assuming that it will do the same as the old EP6000?

The original set up was pumped with one Honeywell valve for HW and one Honeywell valve for CH which allowed hot water only and also central heating only if needed.
Now since fitting the new EP2 programmer whether it is set for linked or independent running I cannot get just the central heating to run without the hot water tank also being on?
My old EP6000 had the link on the back which had 10 or 16 programs set to 16 programmes that allowed just the CH on only. Can no longer get this set up with the new EP2 programmer?

Once the tank gets to the thermostat pre set temp of 60 degrees centigrade the central heating will straight away turn off until the airing cupboard copper tank drops below this temp then both will run again. Cannot run the CH only from the temp set on the main boiler.

Had set up the ID no on the EP2 programmer to “5” for the EP6002 independent setting without any luck plus tried the ID number “1” in a desperate attempt to get just the CH on only.
Is there something completely different with the old original EP6000 that is not mirrored in the new EP2 programmer.

Any help gratefully received as I am going round in circles to get this to run. Have I got a faulty EP2 programmer!

Classic Ideal NF70 gas boiler.
EP2 programmer that was a EP6000 (1992 Vintage)
2 standard Honeywell Valves 40003916-001 Powerhead
Honeywell thermostat attached to copper tank in airing cupboard.
Usual Grundfoss pump

Sponsored Links
Hi Denso13

Went through the fully pumped menu again at set up and still no luck. The old EP6000 allowed you to see at any time what was set up and the links on the back made it bullet proof. Only wish I had kept the old unit as it was far superior in every way.

Nothing has been changed since the old unit was installed when the house was first built some twenty years ago by a local builder for me. So all the wiring installed has been the same since we built the house.

Don't want to spend another £70 or so purchasing another EP2 just to find exactly the same problem with my original EP2.

I still have all the EP6000 wiring diagrams that are bigger and far more clearer and they look just the same for a pumped system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back