New roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently had a professional roofer change my glass conservatory roof to a light weight tiled roof.

He removed the glass and replaced each panel with 30mm celotex, covered the outside surface with chip board and tiled over the top with light weight tiles.

Now it has come to the interior....

The building inspector has told me the insulation value must be 0.18. Does anyone know the most cost effective way of gaining that amount of insulation? I understand that because the roofer fitted a breathable membrane I will not need an air gap above the new insulation.

Also, what screws should I use to fit the batons to the aluminium roof frame.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I think you'll nee to ad another 100mm of celotex, so why didn't the roofer do that, and how come building control are involved, and why didn't they say what they wanted, rather than giving you a U value.

Self tapping screws with a pilot hole should do the job.

I think you'll nee to ad another 100mm of celotex, so why didn't the roofer do that, and how come building control are involved, and why didn't they say what they wanted, rather than giving you a U value.

Self tapping screws with a pilot hole should do the job.
Because contrary to popular belief Building Control are not obliged in any way shape or form to tell the applicant how to achieve compliance, in fact they hate crappy jobs like this or dopey self builders who expect their hands to be held. And clearly the OP's 'proffesional' knows little about building regs either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Doggit for your helpful info - yours faithfully the "dopey self builder"

Freddie does have a point.
I agree that you don't wake up one day and suddenly become aware of building regulations. However, almost everyone has access to the internet. People are only usually energetic about internet research if it effects them financially.
I also agree in that babysitting incompetent builders is not within the BCO remit.

There are people going around 'transforming' conservatories at a ridiculous cost and claiming equally ridiculous performance results. These same people used to install them and call themselves building experts.

Use tek screws to fix your battens, and as someone says you will need at least another 100mm of celotex.
As Freddy say's chipboard really has no place on a roof nowadays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back