New socket - any rules on how the cable must run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a room redesign (the wife!), there's a consideration of moving a TV from one wall to the other. The only problem with this is that there's no electrical socket on that side of the wall. The nearest sock is about 8ft away, with a door in between.

The wall is a partition wall to the hallway - but there's no electrical socket on the reverse (hallway side) either.

I'm going to get a pro in to do the work if its possible without ridiculous costing. Hence my question.

Any regs on how the cable feeding the socket must be run from? Ie can you only spur a new socket from the same level? (ie, as I want a new socket on the ground level, the spur must come from existing ground level). Are you allowed to feed a new socket downstairs from a socket upstairs? I thought I read that electical cable for sockets is not allowed to travel the length of a wall? (probably making that bit up).

The sparky fellow will be doing the work, but if you cannot run a new socket from a different level socket, then either I have to dig up flooring, or the cable has to run from an existing socket, up the wall, under the floor upstairs and back down again. Sure'y that can't be allowed either ???

Advice before I engage Mr Sparky to quote and book his next vacation from his profits?

Sponsored Links
Any regs on how the cable feeding the socket must be run from? Ie can you only spur a new socket from the same level? (ie, as I want a new socket on the ground level, the spur must come from existing ground level).
Nope - none of that, as long as it's all properly documented so that anybody seeking to isolate the socket knows which circuit it's on.

I thought I read that electical cable for sockets is not allowed to travel the length of a wall? (probably making that bit up).
It's not true.

Whether you're making it up, or you read something untrue I can't say.

or the cable has to run from an existing socket, up the wall, under the floor upstairs and back down again. Sure'y that can't be allowed either ???
Provided it complies with all the regulations for concealed cables, circuit length etc then it's allowed.

Advice before I engage Mr Sparky to quote and book his next vacation from his profits?
Just the usual, get more than one quote, seek personal recommendations from friends & family...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back