New Stair carpet fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fit a new stair carpet fully fitted wall to wall, I have fitted other carpets in standard rooms quite well so want to have a go. My stairs are plain just straight down nothing fancy. I just want to know-

do professional carpet fitters make a template of the stair carpet first such as the old carpet then cut a long peice off that, ?

or -

do they cut the carpet biggar that the width of the stairs i,e 2/3 inches either side fit/stretch it to the gripper rods all the way up, then trim the carpet each side like fitting a regular room carpet?

I would imagine that the second option may be more accurate just incase the walls of the stairs were not 100% square but is this option doable

Sponsored Links
I am looking to fit a new stair carpet fully fitted wall to wall, I have fitted other carpets in standard rooms quite well so want to have a go. My stairs are plain just straight down nothing fancy. I just want to know-

do professional carpet fitters make a template of the stair carpet first such as the old carpet then cut a long peice off that, ?

or -

do they cut the carpet biggar that the width of the stairs i,e 2/3 inches either side fit/stretch it to the gripper rods all the way up, then trim the carpet each side like fitting a regular room carpet?

I would imagine that the second option may be more accurate just incase the walls of the stairs were not 100% square but is this option doable

I suspect that this is a task beyond your skills (based on your questions)

Poorly fitted stair carpets can KILL!

They need to be fitted securely!

..............and those are just two of the many potential problems!

The carpet is not ran in one piece all the way up the stairs, it's cut and tucked after every stair to make sure it's tight.

I think the manufacturers install it more precisely, so don't worry. Yes, it is important to take care while installing the carpet on the staircase, that the installer is properly seated in the position to fix it.

Sponsored Links
If its a straight stair, the fitters would generally take a measurement for width, bottom, middle, top, if it's about the same all the way up, cut the net, start at the bottom and bolster the carpet into the crease between grippers as you go. If the carpet is a stripe, pattern or natural loop, chances are you may not get it all lined up right. Stairs are the most difficult area to fit properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back