New toilet instalkled and a small drip!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new toilet today as the old one was chipped and horrible looking. I removed the old one, installed the new one and re-piped to it including a service valve fitted before the float valve. I also used a new pan connector and a small wooden batten behind the cistern as it was too far from the wall I i didn't fancy cutting the soil pipe!!.

I bought it from B & Q and it is not a cheap cheap one and all looks nice. It even came with the siphon, float valve, close coupling kit and doughnut washer , handle, linkage, etc. Anyhow I have 2 small problems that I'd like to run past someone with experience if I may.

The doughnut washer looked very big and when I connected it it didn't seem a great fit, but when I tightened the wing nuts up, seemed to squash down in place. It is a foam doughnut washer not a rubber type. Is this how they are supposed to be? I also have a small dribble, when flushed, from one of the wing nut holes, so I made sure the black rubber washer and metal circular washer covered the holes correctly and were tight. Still a dribble when flushed though which is annoying! It seems to build up after a few flushed and a small puddle on the floor underneath appears!

Is this normal or is there any thing I can do to prevent this? Why is it doing it as the doughnut is in place, the siphon backnut fully tight with grips. It is puzzling me!!! Thanks all for helping :)

Sponsored Links
Is the close couple bracket secured on with the syphon backnut?

Or is it one of those ones where there are two bolts that go through seperate holes in the cistern?

My first port of call would be the doughnut washer, you asid it was not a snug fit. Either disassemble and repostion it or go to a plumbers merchant and get a sutable one.

B&Q toilets are riddled with these problems cheap & expensive.

PTS do a Tradesave doughnut washer which are fantastic, sort you out no problem.

Hi, thanks for helping:

The bracket/wing nut plate is secured and the backnut tightened up to secure it.

Where would I get a tradesave doughnut from? Are they standard size/fit? Sorry I do not know what PTS is!

I see it may be a design/dougnut fault. The wing nuts cannot be tightened any more and I don't want to crack the cistern, so I used some locktite tape, and did the wingnut up again securing/squeezing it in between the black rubber washer/metal washer hole and the wing nut and seems to have done the trick. I also smeared some clear silicone over the same part.

Will try and get a new dougnut though.

Where would I get a tradesave doughnut from? Are they standard size/fit? Sorry I do not know what PTS is!

Will try and get a new dougnut though.
Plumbing Trade Supplies. Signed as PTS in Red lettering...Usually in trade/industrial estates ;)

Sponsored Links
You need to get to the root of the problem and find out whys its dripping from the wingnut; ie doughnut.

I had this happen to me, a drip from the wingnuts when i changed a siphon a few years ago. i thnk the foam washers suash into place and self seal afcter a day or so. mine stopped dribbling all of a sudden a few days later. ptfe around the nut may help prevent the dribble also as you have done. remove the tape in a day or so and see if the dribble has fully stopped...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back