New top soil for lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting our back garden ready to turf; I've removed our old turf and got rid of it.

Some areas were low so I've had some screened top soil delivered and raised the low areas with the new top soil.

I've levelled the garden now, but you can clearly see the areas where ive added the new top soil. Our existing soil is really rich and dark, whereas the new top soil looks pale and probably isn't as nutrient rich.

When the new turf is laid, and takes, in time will the turf look different in different areas; better in the areas where the good soil is, and poorer where it is growing in the areas where the screened top soil is?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, wouldn't think so, doesn't take much to grow grass. If anything it might be slower to come, but once you cut it, it will even out.

Just scatter a bit of growmore on the new soil, that will slowly release nutrients throughout the growing season.

Sponsored Links
The bone meal will encourage good root growth with immediate effect. The growmore will provide nutrients as it slowly releases them over weeks / months. It wouldn't do any harm to use both together, but yes the bonemeal will suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back