New Turf - caring for it in this heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have laid some new turf in the back garden. It went so well we did the front garden as well :)

Of course now we are having our summer, lovely and sunny for us but not great for new turf.

I am watering loads. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. I have pulled a few corners up and the turf is rooting down.

But it seems to have shrinked a little, some of the turf pieces are not touching now :(

Should I just leave it or should I do something, ie fill the holes with sharp sand or something ?

Also I cut the back lawn for the first time today. Left the mower high and barely cut the grass. But I did notice that the lawn has a few bumps and dips. Nothing too serious but noticeable.

Should I leave them ? I was going to leave the bumps etc until the end of summer and then add a top dressing of some kind and leave that over the autumn / winter/ spring to sort itself out. Is this best or can I deal with it now ?

Is it worth getting a roller ?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
dont roller it yet, youll damage the roots. it will take time to settle. plenty of water. you can fill the gaps with a little soil and seed mixed in, but it will multiply as it grows to fill up the cracks.

So if I leave it as it is it will be fine ?

As it is I don't have any soil and I don't want to go and buy seeds for the heck of it, so if it will be fine I will just keep on watering it.

Saying that, we might be having a "hose pipe ban" round my area so I will be doing a lot of watering can activity :0

no ones ever been prosecuted under a hose pipe ban by the way ;)

Sponsored Links
actually it would be interesting to see them try!

...all the water companies are private companies now and you pay them for the service that they provide (i.e. water). Being short of water is their problem not ours
So....
The way I see it is I will use the water I pay for (unless they are going to reduce the bill of course)

Anyone asks, tell them the water is from a private well, or tanks in the basement from winter rainwater. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back