New Window for the Back Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All, I had a little accident with my key on New Years Eve, and had to get into the house using alternative methods.

Any how I need a new window for the back door. :rolleyes:

The door is white PVC and the window is.. erm was double glazed.

I now need to know what my options are. I've rung up for a few quotes but they all say they will call back, roughly what prices am I looking at for both fitting and supply and just supply.

I read a little bit about certificates required when it comes to selling a house (which we're trying to do right now) but how would anyone know that the glass has been replaced?

If I were to fit on my own, what sort of difficulty am i looking for, removing the shards of the old one shouldnt be too hard, but how do I go about fitting a new one?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ive been quoted about £90 for just the glass and £150 for Glass plus fitting. Do these prices sound fair?

Depends where you are and what is involed, you should tey and get 3 quotes

Thanks, I picked out 3 companies from scoot.co.uk and the lowest was the one I mentioned above, the others slightly higher.

Sponsored Links
TownendK said:
Ive been quoted about £90 for just the glass and £150 for Glass plus fitting. Do these prices sound fair?
Yes because the glazier would have to make 2 journey.

sounds fair though its not rocket science to fit them I take it its a FENSA certificate you are on about, don't worrry not worth the paper its written on.

Well I inspected the door and decided that It would probably save a lot of grief if we got someone in to do it. We settled on a company that offered £119 for the window, VAT, call out and the fitting. They've been to measure it and now are waiting for the window to arrive.

Cheers

If it's externally glazed you could have popped it out yourself on new years eve with a screwdriver and saved 119 quid.

chappers said:
sounds fair though its not rocket science to fit them I take it its a FENSA certificate you are on about, don't worrry not worth the paper its written on.

Dont think you need a certificate if just repairing glass. Well thats wot pinstripe in christchurch plannin told me. (think prescot just wants us to buy upvc off his new firm its called fensa ) :mad:
Hello all Im new to this.

chappers said:
take it its a FENSA certificate you are on about, don't worrry not worth the paper its written on.

You may not need FENSA, but you do need to comply. I've bought and sold a couple of houses since these regs came in, and replaced all windows in both of them. Didn't use a fensa outfit and went through local Building Control. Don't know the ramifications of not having a compliance certificate but in both cases the solicitors required a copy of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back