newbuild cavity wall construction type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advice on what materials to use for the walls on a proposed detached outbuilding I want to build at the bottom of my garden.

I have been told by Building Control that the walls on my building need to achieve a 'u' value of 0.35. I didn't realise that the many different combinations of block types effect the brand and thickness of insulation and cavity.

I want blocks for the outside skin to be rendered at the front of the building and just painted at the sides & back as it is close to fences, and blocks plastered on the inside.

Can anyone recommend an industry standard brand of block, insulation and cavity thickness that will achieve this 'u' rating, also could I plaster straight onto the blocks inside or would I have to dot & dab plasterboard then plaster.

Sorry for the long winded question, any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back