Newel post removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I want to remove the lower portion of my newel post which runs from the landing through the floor and should be resting on the ground floor. I say 'should be' because it isn't at the moment. The ancient concrete and quarry tile floor has been removed and the section of it under the newel post has also come away - it wasn't my intention but it happened. I'm creating an office in this area and a stud wall will be in place beneath the stairs in the sameposition as the plywood partition in the pictures. Clearly the newel post is supporting the top three stairs as they turn and also the string runs into the post. Is it possible to cut the newel post off just below the tread which is painted white? I don't believe the newel post has been supporting very much for the last several years as it is rotten at the base anyway. It may already be or could be bolted to the first floor beam running next to it, or might it be possible to run a beam across beneath any cut into the wall on either side (span is only 1.6m). Any ideas would be gratefully received. I was intending it to stay in position but it's removal would free up a lot of space. Thanks in advance.
WP_20160825_15_34_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20160825_15_34_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20160825_15_35_17_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back