Newly Emulsioned Wall - feels rough / fine sandpaper texture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I did the pre-entry walk round to a new build new home I am purchasing shortly. On inspection the emulsioned walls in every room are not smooth to the touch but have a rough feel like very fine sandpaper. They have allegedly been painted with a Dulux emulsion. Being a new build the emulsion is obviously the first paint to cover over the plasterboard and taped joints used in construction.

My expectations were that the walls should be smooth to the touch..... is this correct?

If this is correct why / what reasoning would give rise to the rough / sandpaper like texture that exists?

Thanks in advance
A

Sponsored Links
I have Dulux emulsion on my walls (done 14 years ago) and have the same roughness.

Have used other makes of emulsion in other rooms and these are much smoother.

It would seem that's just the way it is.

It's a cheapo non vinyl contract emulsion applied too thickly.

par for the course with new builds
house bashers & obliterating emulsion spring to mind.

I wouldn't worry about it, once the house dries out, the cracks and nail popping starts to appear, so will need re-painting anyway.
then you can use a more durable emulsion.

Sponsored Links
New build standards are atrocious. Lowest bidder gets the contract, the decs simply can't afford to do a decent job, speed is king.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back