News of the World

S

Shutpa

At almost 75 years old, I have never once bought the News of the World. That is not to say that I have not read the odd copy. I have.

There have been occasions when I have come across the paper and started to read it. I have only read a page or two when I ask myself, " Who reads this s***". And I dont have an answer.

Are there readers who week after week after week swallow this rubbish? Are there any 'intelligent' readers or are they all found at the bottom of the academic pile? Having asked that question, I dont really care.

When Princess Di died, I wanted to buy every questionable tabloid and burn it in front of the worlds media.

Tonight, I feel that way again. After hearing about the latest 'Milly' allegations, I have decided that enough is enough and I must take a stand.

To that end, I will never ever, deal with any company that advertises in the News of the World.

Sponsored Links
Read it a few times as a kid, being naive I thought everything in it was true. As an adult I don't understand why anyone would bother buying it. It's full of celebrity 'news', sensationalism and not much else.

As the NotW is the sunday version of The Sun, does anyone bother with either of them?

bolo

I hope you don't mind if I point out the slight flaw in your plan.....

you'll have to keep buying the rag to see who's advertising in it. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I will never ever, deal with any company that advertises in the News of the World.

Ford UK are pulling the plug on advertising in the News Of the Screws apparently, I echo your sentiments.....

Was in Hosptial Waiting room yesterday, not much to read, apart from HeL*o mags (you know the kind of thing) and a copy of 'the Mail'. That too is a waste of trees.

DH

You know most people in the UK are stupid right?
Hi and thank you for your reply. However, having taught for 42 years, I could never ever agree that "most people in the uk are stupid". True, there are some that are. Like the boy who, when I asked if there were any questions about the forthcoming examination, asked, "Sir, do you have a dog"? Generally however, whilst they may be lacking in academic achievement, the vast majority of my students, in my opinion, have gained unofficial passes in the common sense exams.

Last Sunday, because my son wanted a sleepover, I agreed to deliver the papers on his Sunday paper round. Out of 44 deliveries there were 4 News of the Worlds. Next Sunday, I hope that there will be none.

to be honest stop buying paper ages ago
but i want to know why they have not arrested the guy who say he hacked into the phone

My next door neighbour a great guy, cant see past the N o t W

to be honest stop buying paper ages ago
but i want to know why they have not arrested the guy who say he hacked into the phone

FFS, the News of the World, probably hacked the first ever phone call between Alexander Graham Bell and his assistant in the next room.

Headlines in the 1800's would have been something like, World exclusive,,, "A.G Bell speaks to his assistant from the next room.",,,,,,,,riveting ehhh
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well spotted mate! My son is 16 (and my daughter is 14)! I also have 3 other daughters aged 46, 48 and 50. I have a wife who is 48 and an ex who is 71. Having said that, as far as I know, none of them have ever bought the News of the World or the Sun. Why? I really dont know.

What is it that makes a person buy rags. Because father and grandfather bought them or because for some people in our society, like going to the bookies, the tabloids are part of a way of life. Regardless of the answer, I believe that sooner rather than later, the readership will rebel, (just as they did in Liverpool), the advertisers will withdraw en masse, and the News of the World and other such publications will become history.

PS By the way Matt1e, it might interest you to know that this will probably be my last post on the subject. Not, I may add, because I have a terminal disease, but because tomorrow we are off to Florida for a couple of weeks. And yes, we are going to the theme parks, and yes I will be enjoying the white knuckle rides. At least I hope I will - I enjoyed them 2 years ago.

However, I must be absolutely honest and admit that having such a great time at my age, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I don't read the News of the World :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

At 75 doing a 48 year old must be a bit of a white knuckle ride for you . ;)

Anyway, sorry for high-jacking my own thread. How many of you guys out there do read the News of the World and will the latest revelations make any of you who do change to another paper?

Anyway, sorry for high-jacking my own thread. How many of you guys out there do read the News of the World and will the latest revelations make any of you who do change to another paper?

It's called the news of the screws in my house. My wife likes it claiming she likes reading the gossip.

She has now decided never to purchase it again.

Sponsored Links
Back