NISSAN MICRA 2003 LOSING OIL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2003 1ltre petrol 55000 new shape model

the car seems to be losing oil quite quickly but i dont know where from? its only a 1 litre petrol and there is no visable signs of it dripping from under the car. after buying i have learned that the gear box had been replaced due to a bad oil leak. could this be happening again???

Its not drove very much and there is no smoke coming out the exhaust at high revs etc,
anyideas?

Sponsored Links
If its not leaking it must be burning it, some cars do, how much is it using and how quickly?

Peter

Sponsored Links
The K12 Micra, like others of its ilk, is an engine noted for low oil consumption (which is just as well considering its low oil capacity) and the fact that it is usually pretty oil tight.
You need to absolutely ascertain that the engine isn't leaking oil - the usual places being the sump seal washer, oil filter cartridge etc.
Check that oil isn't being blown back along the vehicle floor and at the same time check for leaks at the timing chain side end of the engine (offside) and the joint where the engine mates to the transmission.
I don't understand why the gearbox would have to be replaced due to a severe oil leak - that should have been visible long before the disaster!
If alls well leak wise, follow Peter's advice....get the oil level exactly correct and then monitor the consumption using the dipstick and mileage reading. This car uses a semi synthetic 10/40 lubricant - they don't like fully synthetic.
John :)

Thanks will have a look. with regards gear box this was broughy to my attention when up for MOT. Having bought it a year earlier the dealer patched and tidy'd up and sold on so all damage had been done. On checking the history it had been recorded earlier in the notes but stupidy assumed problem was rectified. wont be back to that cowboy again.

The older micra had a problem using oil, i tried re- ringing one but it's was useless as the pots had an habit of going oval, could'nt be sure if it's still the same today.

Back