Nissan Micra Ignition Switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I change the switch behind the barrel on the micra will the immobilizer still work with the new switch?

I am going to take it out and see if its the barrel sticking and seee what needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
Its the outer part of the lock assembly that contains the transponder, but I don't know if just the internal barrel is available separately, I'm afraid.
John :)

The ignition locks are fixed to the steering column with shear bolts.....which means they need to be drilled out or cut away with an angle grinder.
I cant remember if the barrel can be extracted with the lock in place though....there's often a pin that can be pushed in to free the barrel.
Wishing you luck with this....is the key snapped off or something, or is the lock just getting lazy?
John :)

Sponsored Links
How old is vehicle as there are several recalls for them, including steering wheel nut?

What is actual problem - sticking barrel? Seems a common problem.

A wee chisel (screwdriver) might get the shear bolts to loosen, or so I'm told? You might be lucky with changing the back of the switch. Don't turn the switch when connected until you reconnect to the barrel. That way the ignition wasn't turned on without the transponder making contact with the key.

yea I was thinking of seeing about drilling out a few holes so a screwdriver will fit in, though I'm not sure how tight the bolts are.
I'll have a go sometime.. looks a right bugger to get at the ignition switch.

AlanE : yes its sticking.. not sure if I can check to see if it was recalled.
I was going to see if I can get the ignition switch off but is very difficult to get at. I was going to get it off and check the key turns better to diagnose.
I am looking into taking the steering column out instead but seems the unit blocking access to the ignition switch comes out with it.. still blocking access to the screws holding the ig. switch in.

Phone Nissan customer services on 01923 899334 and ask as There is Internet talk of a recall for faulty ignition switch problem.

There is also, I believe YouTube videos of replacing the switch on some Micra models. Including yours? No idea as you still don't say what year your is.

thanks for the replies.. just managed to get internet connection again..

Checked with nissan and no recall issued so managed to do it myself. didnt find it easy at all but struggled through.

Sponsored Links
Back