Nissan Micra K12 PAS.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2002 Nissan Micra, electric power steering light is intermittently showing on dash, today the light stayed on and my Wife had trouble turning the steering wheel, switched engine off and on again and the PS light extinguished. Anyone have any knowledge of the Micra electric steering?

Sponsored Links
About the only thing you can do is to check the fluid level in the reservoir, but I have noticed on these that its best to start up and wait a second before steering, and don't leave the steering on full lock when you park.
Sorry, don't know anything more!
John :)

They might have changed around that time to full electric as I see replacement steering columns listed.

Might be worth getting the fault codes read by your local garage (non main dealer if you want), hopefully it will show up something simple.

John, as Mursal has said, they are full electric, no hydraulics involved. Nissan know about the problem as its wide spread, but, they choose to ignore it!! Cost to have electric steering motor changed by Nissan? approx. £1200!!!!! Or, I can purchase a recon one with life warranty from BB-Reman for £450 and have our Tech at work fit it, BUT........ I've had codes read and there is a communication problem resulting from a loose ground wire that is causing the PS light to illuminate. So I've now got to remove and clean all earth wires and hope the fault will clear. Either way its gotta be a darn sight cheaper than a new electric steering column!

Sponsored Links
Yes, I do remember the system now.....there is hydraulic fluid involved but thats not the problem. We had a similar issue with a 53 plate Megane and that needed a new column - happily under warranty!
There's plenty on Honest John about this one too.
I hope its not a crippler for you but do lets know.
Be lucky!
John :)

Back