Nissan Primera S reg speedometer issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm new to this and have recently acquired an S reg nissan primera.

I have found that when starting up in the morning (during winter) the speedometer does not initially work. The car can drive like normal but there is no speed reading (It basically reads 0mph for the first five minutes or so of driving).

When the speedometer then does begin to work, the gauge will sit at 30/40mph when the car is stopped and increase like normal when driving (so the speedometer will read 70mph when the car is travelling at 30/40mph).

However, if I pull over and turn the car off when the speedometer begins to work, letting the gauge fall back to 0mph, and then turn it back on it will then work normally.

I'm just wondering if anyone might know what the cause of this is and what will be the best way to repair this issue. Just to be clear, this only seems to occur when it is really cold outside.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
The speedo on these works in conjunction with a sensor that's located on the top of the gearbox - above the inner drive shaft joint.
Both items are prone to failure, unfortunately but try the connections to the sensor first!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back