Nissan Vanette playing up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today whilst out in the old van, i started getting juddering whilst driving in 1st and second gear, the juddering was far less in 3rd and in 4th/5th seemed to stop.
Once i get some speed up the judder went away, but from a standing start up getting a bit of speed, the juddering very tasty.
What is the issue?
I had new clutch fitted about 14 months ago, could be a gearbox problem? I can get through the gears smoothly but with the juddering in lower gears and low speeds.

Sponsored Links
Clutch judder shows itself at its worst in first or reverse gear......after that it's scarcely noticeable as a rule.
Is there a misfire when the van is ticking over?
John :)

it's okay in reverse no juddering apparent.
I cannot say I have noticed any misfiring, but seem to be ticking over quite high on revs, which is normal when first fired up from cold, but that drops once warmed. But noticed whilst stood in traffic that it was running high.

Can't see how a fast tick over would give you grief like juddering.....high tick over when cold is fine, as you say......the tick over will also increase if there is a high electrical load on the engine.
Is this the 1300cc petrol engine?
John :)

Sponsored Links
No management light indicating a issue coming on, only a little smokey from cold start, which was always been normal.
All oil and water levels okay.
The only issue is the back section of the exhaust is due for replacement, but I doubt that is a contributing factor of the juddering.

If the engine is well serviced etc i would start to look at electricial items such as coolant temp sensor, maf sensor, egr valve if fitted.
Im assuming its a modern enough engine to have these fitted?

Vehicle is about 10yrs old, it's my run around. Had regular serving for local garage. Vehicle repairs or knowledge not my thing, I will keep eye on lights, water, oil, wipers etc.. But any thing too in depth, forget it. I have now dropped it of with mechanic to puzzle over.

I will report back once diagnosis has been given.

Sponsored Links
Back