No Cement Around Support Posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What started out as a simple job to replace the decking on my deck with composite boards has now become a much bigger job, as I discovered after removing the old decking that things were not level. Suspecting something was amiss, I pounded a rod next to the 4x4 uprights, only to discover that there was nothing to stop it from going all the way down, meaning no cement had been poured around the posts. Does anybody know if there is a way to level out the support structure and stabilize it without tearing the whole thing apart and starting over, doing it the proper way? is there any way to maybe raise it up with a jack and somehow injecting concrete underneath?

Sponsored Links
just dig new holes adjacent and put new posts in. leave them longer than you need, then you can lever the deck up and set it at the new height by attaching it to the new posts.

Don't strictly need concreting in if they are on a firm surface. Maybe you could dig out below the post and slide a small or part cut paving slab under it. Bits of old slate or roof tile to level it off.
Thermo's method will be more secure if you are on a slope.

And as it's all tied together it doesn't really need concrete. I've got structures in my garden built without concrete just rammed sand and bricks around the posts and they haven't moved at all.

Sponsored Links
my way works on any ground, flat or sloping and will prevent any movement. Its one of the ways we repair badly done ones! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back