no CH but HW on potterton netaheat profile 40e boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a potterton netaheat profile 40e boiler, when timer asks for hw the boiler fires up and everything is ok, but if we ask for ch nothing happens at all, boiler does not fire up, pump in airing cupboard not working. In the airing cupboard above the pump there is a honeywell valve with 3 pipes going in and out of it and a lever which is set at auto, if i switch the lever to manual and ask for hw and ch on timer radiators start getting warm and water is ok, but when water has reached temperature radiators go cool because boiler has turned off.Boiler must be ok because hw works ok,i recently had a new grunfos pump fitted in airing cupboard, overheat thermostat and pressure switch fitted to boiler and it has worked ok for a couple of months. Also the honeywell valve makes a ticking sound sometimes when hw is on.
Please could someone shed some light on my problem.
Also what is the purpose of the Honeywell valve and am i damaging system by switching it to manuel

Sponsored Links
try finding the zone valve(s) its probably the motor in there thats gone

As for the manual bit no you are not damaging it and you will get central heating all the time the cylinders demanding

just change the motor in the valve and you should be apples ;)

The only problem with manually operating Honeywell valves is that when you do the electrical switches inside the valve will NOT operate, so the boiler won't run. So if your CH zone valve is U/S, operate it manually but you will then have to force the boiler to run by having the HW on too.

i have took cover off honeywell valve, i think i have found the motor will it have 'Synchron' stamped on it. if this is the one, where will i obtain one from and how much. thanks

Sponsored Links
if i remove motor, will i be able to run the boiler as normal with valve set to manual

Hi All, I have tried to read through the forums for an answer, before posting here, this thread seems closest, however a couple of questions to you pro's please:

I have a Potterton Profile 40e, the water turns on/off and heats up fine, however the central heating doesn't seem to work. The hall thermostat clicks on and shows 'Below' and the timer clicks on but no fireup.

After reading this thread I looked around for the 'honeywell' valve but all I can see is a little white box near the cylinder tank with Danfoss Randall written on it and this has a little selector lever on top that says Man & Auto.

I moved this lever a couple of times and returned it back to auto, the boiler has just fired up, am I correct in assuming that is needs replacing then?
Would I need to replace it with exactly the same or is there other makes and models available, if so which is cheaper?

MANY Thanks in advance

if it works all the time now it may of just been stiff etc and the motor couldn't move it across.

as for changing it its not a case of whats cheaper its whats the better quality valve.

Thanks for a quick reply :)

I have litterally moved that switch and made the post imediately after, so don't know if it is on all the time as yet.

Ok please tell me what I should be looking to replace this valve with then :) and if it all stops working then I should assume this little valve IS the culprit then?

Cheers

i would replace with a honeywell one of the best valves.
it sounds like it was the valve if you moving the lever got it going.
but i would check with a multi meter if it fails again and check the motors operating the valve.

Hi again, Would you have a specific part number PLEASE and what are the costs would be PLEASE?

Thanks for all your help

has your danfoss got any model number on then we know exact valve you have.

probably a HS3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back