No Felt / Membrane on tiled roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our house has not got any felt or membrane under the tiles, the tiles are Rosemary, we have an extension that is joined onto our existing roof that is approx 6 years old which does have a membrane but the extension does have different tiles, there appears to be a solid plate where the two tiles meet and we can clearly see daylight through this area, no leaks or water getting in.
The loft has insulation on the floor which i have boarded over and using it as storage etc, i am just a concerned that we are going to have issues with condensation/damp in the loft with no felt/membrane or insulation between the rafters.

We bought the house in April and so not really had much cold weather to worry about.

On another note, i have a TREE! growing out of my Chimney that i am going to get up and remove but at the same time i am hoping to repoint the chimney as there seems to be water damage to the ridge next to the stack. what should i be looking out for as evidence of a leak?

Many thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
So long as the roof tiles are in good order you will have alot less problems with condensation/damp than modern roofs as the space is free to air out more.. you will however have a lot of black dust gathering in the space so wrap everything up before putting up there..

Ah, ok, thanks for your reply.

I have certainly seen the black dust! nightmare. What is it?

Dust.. general atmospheric dust.. pollution, road dust etc etc.. not too sure really..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back