No Heating (but hot water)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps. Firstly I apologise for the terms I will be using in my query;

1/ My boiler is a glow-worm I believe. It looks quite an old thing and has probably been there since house(bungalow) was built about 1970.

2/ I moved in in July this year. I tested the heating and it worked fine. Too bloody fine. The whole house went extremely hot,(no change when I turned the thermostat down) and a friend advised that my thermostat was knackered. He very kindly fitted a new one, but unfortunately this apparently "blew up" (his words). So he put the old one back on !

3/ Now, I have lots of hot water, but no heating !

4/ I have looked for the pump, but can't find it ! Maybe my system is a gravity one ?

Any advise as too get the heating on again. Maybe the thermostat has fused, I really haven't a clue. (is this easy to change).

Also, one plug in the kitchen needs to be left plugged in, otherwise the pilot light will go out. The people I bought the house off, kindly left a sticky advising me of this when I moved in! Obviously the boiler is fine as I have hot water.

As a tax adviser by trade, such things are foreign to me!

thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
Stick to tax.

Get a qualified engineer to sort out your (possibly dangerous) wiring!

thanks for your reply.
Have you any idea what the problem could be tho'?

My dad says that my system MUST have a pump and I should find it?
As its a bungalow is it likely to be in the loft!

Personally, I don't think there is a pump, but what do I know.

What I do know is I'm freezing my cods off!

Please help...

The ole man's probably right. Up you go!
I misread at first - thought it said tax INSPECTOR - but they aren't daft enough to tell plumbers that when they want help!

Sponsored Links
Not a tax inspector. They are the enemy, I work for the other side!

Will be venturing up to the loft then !

Hope all you plumber guys have your CIS cards...............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back