no hot water. i am all electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a hot water tank in my bedroom airing cupboard, and it is heated only by an immersion heater.

i have no boiler, am all electric!!

my hot water is not heating up very hot now, but the setting on the heater is 60ish.

it has been getting like this for a while but is quite bad now.

is it old age of the heater? i read on this site it may be scale build up on the element? is this true. how can i check to make sure this is the case for me?

all the best

bob

Sponsored Links
do a resistance test on the element, maybe element is on its last legs or as you say scaled up.

either two will need changing.

ok. so i shall test for resistance between the L and N to see what reading i get.

will this prove if the element is scaled then?

isolate power and do a resistance on the element connections.
if its a good reading it must be scaled.
if its poor reading its knackered.

Sponsored Links
tested from L to N with switch OFF and reading was 10.4 ohms. is that bad? i'm assuming it is low?

yes i know i agree i need a new element as the test proved.

any tips for getting them out - will it get messy? i have done plumbing jobs before so not an idiot, and i have tools, any additional advice would be great is poss...

see if you can free the element first, then drain a bit off the cylinder.
if the element don't free easy you can soak it with wd etc over night.
a bit of brutal force but be careful not to twist the cyl.

try your spanner first see how you go. then go from their.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back