No hot water unless heating is on(Alpha 28C)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since the weather's dropped we can't get hot water unless I turn the heating on. Boiler is Alpha 28c, I have a rad off in the living room while decorating, I don't know if that matters, it's capped off both ends.

We have an expansion vessel connected to the boiler because in previous winter's, the pressure kept dropping and constantly needed to be topped up. Previous gauge on the boiler remains stable now but as said, can only get hot water when I switch the thermostat on.

Sponsored Links
You say this happened since the weather dropped, have you just switched over to the DHW & Heating switch position?

I've no idea why this might be faulty but it would be useful to check it out by going back to DHW only to see if there is still no hot water.
(I'm assuming you have tried moving the DHW thermostat temp dial up and down to see if it's causing the problem.)

Otherwise I would be checking the DHW flow switch to atart with.

Very likely to be the diaphragm in the diverter valve holed, or a defective water flow switch. Very common to these boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back