no ignition for potterton lynx 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i just changed the automatic air vent on my potterton lynx 2 as water was leaking from it. after filling the system back up i just tried the boiler and the normal sequence starts with "demand" light on, "water heating" light on but then there is no more "ignition" light nor "flame" light on. from the manual it says that either the air pressure switch, the fan or the electronics board should be changed! any clue as where to start with? the PCB is over £100 and the fan nearly £100. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Cantankerous old boiler then? Just needs a bit of therapy, probably has issues. Never mind, blame the weather.

The Lynx could be a bit the same. Usual suspects from what you say, assuming you got the case back on properly etc, would be dirty fan, venturi, air pipes or aged air pressure switch. Check resistance of air switch in both states. All electrical contacts/connections suffer.

On refilling and oldie always check the pump is bled of air and not seized.

Probably a good bit of life in the old B....er yet, put the gun away.

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe said:
Bamber gaspipe said:
Yes,it`s a bind having to pay for things...I remember I once bought a pencil..lead I think...& all of a sudden it went blunt..Have you any guarantee on your boiler..are you covered by insurance...or was it installed by a comedian...Hard facts that you must answer...otherwise it is
going to cost you a fair penny..unfortunately..

Unhelpful & rude...please forgive that outburst...I`m not very well upstairs..they said....Normal service will be resumed tomorrow..I SEE..DEAD..PEOPLE...

no problem. In fact I don't mind paying for things. My question is: is it really worth the effort? woul'nt it be more efficient to pay for a brand new boiler installed?
In fact I wonder if the leaking has not created some problems with teh PCB as there was quite a bit of water down the boiler and around the electric.

ChrisR said:
Cantankerous old boiler then? Just needs a bit of therapy, probably has issues. Never mind, blame the weather.

The Lynx could be a bit the same. Usual suspects from what you say, assuming you got the case back on properly etc, would be dirty fan, venturi, air pipes or aged air pressure switch. Check resistance of air switch in both states. All electrical contacts/connections suffer.

On refilling and oldie always check the pump is bled of air and not seized.

Probably a good bit of life in the old B....er yet, put the gun away.

thank you chris. when you say that the pump should be bled of air and not seized , what do you mean? what is th procedure to do so?
the fan seems to be working properly as I checked again this morning.

Remove central knob/screw to let air out, twiddle knob or insert screwdriver to turn shaft.

I think its these boilers where water damages the pcb but can't remember if it's ponly the older lynx. Not many left round here.

First you have to check the APS electrically, back at the board.

I can sympathesise with what Bams said although he could have edited it out if he had wanted to.

The thought he was expressing is that the boiler has failed and most people would just call BG or someone from the Yellow Pages to come and fix it and accept the cost as part of life like car tax or a parking ticket.

You have decided to try to avoid paying the repair costs by trying to fix it yourself. Thats fine but you have to accept that you are unlikely to have the diagnostic skills of a good engineer and whilst we can give you free advice here its not as accurate as being there and doing the relevant tests.

You might therefore end up paying more to buy speculative parts to replace that it would have cost with an engineer. It could be anything failed including a cheap o/h stat etc.

I once did a repair for someone in a £5M house who had deprived his family of hot water for four days while he tried to fix it himself. It only cost £84 to fix it.

Tony

Call me thick ( & I know you are going to) but I don`t know how to edit a post once it has been submitted...advice appreciated.

No, I will not! You are not thick you just dont know or have something missing.

When you look at the forum posting you will have an "edit" box to the right of the "quote" button on the posts that you have made.

If this is not visible then perhaps you dont sign in when you view the forum or there is a cookie problem with your computer.

I suspect that you dont sign in automatically or have somehow disabled your cookies or you have a corrupted cookie.

Tony

Agile wrote:
No, I will not! You are not thick you just dont know or have something missing.

Something missing!... are you inferring that I am mentally challenged :mad:

suspect that you dont sign in automatically or have somehow disabled your cookies or you have a corrupted cookie.

I think you are correct, & my cookies have been disabled somehow (painful)...I am not hugely p.c. skilled, Thanks for advice.

Beginning to think you might have something missing! What I meant was you had your COOKIES missing!

To reset in the most tedious but safe mode follow the following:-

Control panel
internet options
Privacy
Advanced
First Party "prompt"
Third Party "Prompt"
OK
Check Always allow session cookies
OK

This will the mean you get a pop up whenever a site wants to put a cookie.

You can make this easier by clicking the box "always allow" when you see DIYnot and then "allow".

You have to follow these instructions which are based on Windows XP. Earlier Windows will probably be the same but might have some differences.

Tony

Thanks for that, but I know what`s going on I think.When I post, it does indeed have an`edit` box next to `quote`But if I submit the post & then leave the site & re-enter, then it is not possible to edit something that I have already submitted. Being a plank I thought that if I post something then I need to leave the site & re-enter to view any replies..I don`t do I..Penny has dropped ...I think, thanks for taking the time out....

You can edit anything at any time.

But only if you have logged in.

Clearly your login and cookies are not set to cause automatic login. It makes no difference but you have to login and then you will see the edit button appear.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back