no neutral wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help me im confused! Trying to connect a new ceiling rose however there are three wires hanging from the ceiling, one of which only appears to contain a live and earth wire. Why is there no neutral?

please see 1a in forum rules

Sponsored Links
this is the switched live, i would expect. neutrals dont go to the switch, they aren't switched.

sounds like 2 plate . there will be 1 phase, usually 1 or 2 neutrals and usually 1 or 2 earths .............so have a good look for the neutrals as they should be their. unless you have 1 phase and 2 neutrals but no earths................

MY ADVICE, GET A SPARX

If there is no neutral, the circuit will not work. Basic physics will tell you this. You need to install a neutral to make the circuit work as intended.

Sponsored Links
please read the original post and don't assume use of correct terminology!

normally at a light fitting you have 3 cables each with a red and black core however one of the blacks is not a neutral but a switched live.

lamps.gif

however there is one fairly common two way switching setup that only has a single wire to one of the fittings from the switchs

old2way.png

this is what i suspect you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back