No power in garage lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

need some advice ... I have moved into a house .. It is a Bovis Homes built house (1997) with attached garage. The garage has sockets and lighting. The light unfortunately does not work as there is no power coming through. I cannot trace the wiring as it disappears behind breeze blocks. Its possibly the last light in the radial circuit as all other lights in the house work fine. There is also no separate fuse in the fuse box for the garage. Would I need to have the lights rewired ?

Regards,
John

Sponsored Links
out of interest.do you have power to the sockets in your garage and is your garage attached to your house

What tests have you done to prove there is no power getting to the light? It could be a switch at fault. Carefully remove the switch and check using a multi meter if you have a 240v supply in and out when the switch is turned on. Is the light supplied from the socket circuit perhaps from a fused connection unit, and the fuse has blown in that?

Doubt you need it rewired!

out of interest.do you have power to the sockets in your garage and is your garage attached to your house

Yes the sockets do have power .. there are two sets of wiring coming into the garage - the wire powering the sockets is live. The other one isnt - I opened the ceiling rosette and checked that the power in to the rosette wasnt there (using a tester)

Sponsored Links
What tests have you done to prove there is no power getting to the light? It could be a switch at fault. Carefully remove the switch and check using a multi meter if you have a 240v supply in and out when the switch is turned on. Is the light supplied from the socket circuit perhaps from a fused connection unit, and the fuse has blown in that?

Doubt you need it rewired!

What would a fused connection unit look like - I have an MCB (which I referred to as the fusebox in the OP)

i agree with flyingsparks.the first place to start is at the switch.how many cores are at the light fitting

Thanks guys.. The only fused connection boxes I have are in the kitchen for appliances and they all work fine .. The wires coming in to the garage for lighting is standard fixed 2 core and earth and a slightly thicker gauge for the power circuit. Is it safe to extend the power socket to the lighting circuit ?

That would be pointless you need to repair or have the fault repaired.

At the switch as was suggested in reply 3 and reply 7

What sort of tester are you using?

Which wires / terminals are you putting each of your test probes onto?

At the switch as was suggested in reply 3 and reply 7

What sort of tester are you using?

Which wires / terminals are you putting each of your test probes onto?

Am not using a multimeter but a normal pilot light tester that lights up on a live point - I have tested it at the point the wire comes in from the house into the garage and in the rosette - Further have tried a temporary extension from power socket to rosette which confirms the switch works - Is there any way to troubleshoot which of house light has been spurred out to the garage ?

Is there any way to troubleshoot which of house light has been spurred out to the garage ?
Yes - and for that you'll need a Mark I eyeball.

Seriously - you have to trace the wiring.

And if you can't, then put new in.

BTW - ditch that neon screwdriver/voltstick, and get a proper 2-pole tester.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back