No primer or undercoat required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on painting my new skirting this weekend with Dulux Trade Satinwood (oil based) as i've read the water based/quick drying stuff is a nightmare to apply.

I will also be painting my doorframes which were stripped down to bare wood a few weeks ago.

So, after treating all knots with a knotting solution, should I apply a primer and/or undercoat?

The datasheet for Dulux Satinwood suggests it can be applied to bare wood.

If I were to apply a primer is there any particular one I should choose or will any do?

Thanks guys :)

Sponsored Links
Never heard of Satinwood being able to apply on bare wood. Best to apply a coat of Dulux Trade Wood-Primer Solvent Based, followed by two coats of your Satinwood.

ive used it for the same applications as you and it does say no undercoat required,it needed 2 good coats though

I don't think the water based stuff is a nightmare to apply, just different. I my admittedly limited experience the difference is that you need to be pretty quick in getting it on the surface, i.e. get the paint in place quickly (I would say lard it on, but I can hear the groans already :D) then worry about spreading it out, finally feather the paint surface with the brush. The water based paint does not seem to like over-working. Also one advantage with the water based paint is that although it is not as durable as the oil based alternative, it stays whiter longer.

Sponsored Links
Best to use a primer (I use Dulux) followed by two coats of Dulux satinwood. I wouldn't bother with the knotting solution unless there are a lot of knots in the wood, otherwise you can take out the dead knots and fill with wood filler. Knotting solution would be a better alternative though.

I don't think the water based stuff is a nightmare to apply, just different. Also one advantage with the water based paint is that although it is not as durable as the oil based alternative, it stays whiter longer

Absolutely agree.

Is the skirting already fitted? If not, paint it prior to fitting it. If already fitted, what method will you use to prevent the wet bristles touching the floor?

On a similar subject...I used some trade crown acrylic eggshell over old oil based gloss...just gave it flash over to take the nibs of..two coats...two weeks later had a pick at it...its coming of like selotape! :evil:

Zampa said:
On a similar subject...I used some trade crown acrylic eggshell over old oil based gloss...just gave it flash over to take the nibs of..two coats...two weeks later had a pick at it...its coming of like selotape! :evil:
Yep, it is a nightmare when it goes wrong aint it "Zampa" for then the paint makers try to blame the paint applicator, lol

Nor is oil based eggshell as rule...but it works

Yes indeed Zampa...and some products are specially manufactured to be "self undercoating." I know this because I've read the instructions.

Problem is though many paint manufacturers recommend using water based egghell over oil as a barrier coat when changing to a water based system..

Ie...a glossed or eggshell wall...in traditional oil based, they say to lightly abrade and then coat with water based eggshell..

It doesnt work...as I now know :evil:

Thanks guys, how many coats of primer do you suggest I apply?

The Dulux Trade primer/undercoat says 2 coats.

So, should I apply 2 coats of primer and 1 coat of satinwood or 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of satinwood? :confused:

Cheers :)

So, should I apply 2 coats of primer and 1 coat of satinwood

I would apply 2 coats of primer yes, and maybe even 2 coats of satinwood, all depending on how it looks after 1st coat. It's up to you though, but this is just my preference :).

claire79 said:
Thanks guys, how many coats of primer do you suggest I apply?

The Dulux Trade primer/undercoat says 2 coats.

So, should I apply 2 coats of primer and 1 coat of satinwood or 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of satinwood? :confused:

Cheers :)
'Dulux Primer/Undercoat' is a different Product from 'Dulux Trade Wood-Primer Solvent Based' !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back