No slab needed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My builder has told me I don't need a concrete slab for underfloor heating. Just some hardcore and sand whacked - dpm - insulation - pipe - screed.

Does this seem ok?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
More to the point, you wont have a floor slab!

Buildings need floors, not just some hardcore

Sponsored Links
Seriously woody is right find a new builder, that is bonkers.

Unless you already have a concrete sub-floor in which case putting hardcore on top would be equally bonkers.

Jeez, point him to the building regulations ... which he probably should be following in any case .. even if it's a conservatory

I've used this builder many times, inc concrete and screeding, and have never had any reason to question his work before.

He has been working on a lot of large projects with other builders and as all of us do we pick up stuff and learn from others we work with. He said this is the way that they were doing the floors on the last three jobs that were having underfloor heating.

Not sure how easy it is to search the the building regs but I couln't find floor construction on the web site. I will ask the builder if he has a copy to put my mind at ease as i'm sure all builder have a copy in the glove box in a nice plastic wallet...-louise

forget about building regs ring building control they will never ever pass that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back