1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

no water coming out my hot water taps

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by glaswegian, 24 Sep 2011.

1. glaswegian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Help! I turned off my cold water supply to look at my shower, it is now back on and my cold water is running fine, sas is my heating, but no water is coming out off my hot water taps. Any ideas?

2. DeltaT2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like an air lock mate. Do you have a header tank in the attic & a copper hot water cylinder? If so my mate Tomplum has a video showing you how to get rid of it.
    HTH

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. glaswegian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, i'm a female and don't know what either are!
    can you explain??

4. DeltaT2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Where did you shut the water off hen? Do you have the items I asked about?
    Did you drain a lot of water from your hot water system, like enough to drain your header tank in the attic?

5. Charnwood

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not knowing what one is, how would she know its capacity?

6. glaswegian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I turned it off under the kitchen sink and turned on all the cold water taps until nothing came out so don't know if that was enough to empty the hot water tank. I have now tried pushing cold water through the hot water tap but it still isn't working.

7. DeltaT2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes I think you've an air lock on your hot water system. But we/I would still need confirmation of the type of system you have. Can you take some digi photos of your Hot Water cylinder & post them up please?

8. DeltaT2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Granted mate, but we do need to establish what system the young lady has.

9. Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With her lack of knowledge of even the parts of her system it may be safer for her to call a plumber.

10. Space cat

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hot water cylinders are round with a domed top. A typical size might be about 18" diameter and 30" high. They're often coated in a hard foam or, if very old, lagged with some kind of thick material. A common place to put one is in a bathroom cupboard but they can be other places.

Your cold water tank will be somewhere high up; higher than the hot cylinder and any hot tap (shower head included). If it's not in a cupboard above the hot cylinder, it'll be up in the loft. They're usually rectangular and about the size of a short coffee table. (If there's a second, smaller one it's for your heating.)

Some cold taps are fed from the tank so that trick won't work with them. :( :( :( You have to use one fed directly from the mains supply. A kitchen tap should always be fed this way.