Noisy Baxi Bermuda Boiler

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an old although regularly serviced and gas checked Baxi Bermuda boiler.
My heating engineer who has replaced most parts of this boiler over the last 15 - 20 years informs me that although it is old technology, it still works as it was originally intended and I have no reason to disbelieve him. It does the job.
However, it does tend to kettle a bit, making banging noises which can be quite annoying at night.
We've put noise reducer in the system about a year ago and I'm contemplating putting some more in now.
Think he used Fernox or Sentinal last time but I've seen Screwfix sell some pretty cheap stuff which does get some decent reviews.
Firstly, is it wrong to mix products due to dodgy reactions etc.
Secondly, what is the method (or best method) for adding this noise reducer stuff.
Thanks in advance folks.
Cheers
Lee.

Sponsored Links
I had this after the heat exchanger was removed and re-fitted on my Baxi Bermuda. Same symptoms as you describe. Only after A LOT of messing and part swapping we found that the plastic water spreader (which is screwed into the heat exchanger) was broken. This means that the water is not pumped equally down all of the 10 water channels allowing some channels to overheat and then boil and kettle. Once a new spreader was fitted then silent heating returned. There was a misconception that the spreader was only to be installed on gravity systems, this is incorrect.

andytw

I had this after the heat exchanger was removed and re-fitted on my Baxi Bermuda. Same symptoms as you describe. Only after A LOT of messing and part swapping we found that the plastic water spreader (which is screwed into the heat exchanger) was broken. This means that the water is not pumped equally down all of the 10 water channels allowing some channels to overheat and then boil and kettle. Once a new spreader was fitted then silent heating returned. There was a misconception that the spreader was only to be installed on gravity systems, this is incorrect.

andytw

What model of bermuda do you have? I wonder if mine has it fitted.

I have an inset 2 50/4 that used to kettle when heating the gravity hot water. Much quieter now after draining and refilling however I now have a sort of rattling noise through the pipes and boiler when the burner is on and the water is hot. Are there other symptoms of a failed spreader?

I doubt BG would entertain checking it for a second. They would much rather hit me with the old you need a powerflush patter.

Sponsored Links
--> What model of bermuda do you have? I wonder if mine has it fitted.

Mine is a 552

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back