Noisy Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In September 2015 we had our Bathroom re-fitted out to make it a wet room and an Extractor Fan was fitted (make is Enviro-vent). This thing has a mind of it's own ! It should be on a quiet constant tick over and was to begin with. In the colder months, ie Nov, Dec etc it started to make more noise - and I mean loud ! It could be heard through the closed Bathroom and Bedroom doors and it was going on for HOURS! if we had a late shower, say 9 - 10pm this thing was still going at 3am ! So this year we have decided to take our 'winter' showers during the day, deliberately avoiding night times (unless unavoidable) to give this fan lots of time to 'shut up' ! Yesterday I had a shower at 7pm and the Extractor was going right up until the early hours of today. At one point it quietened down but then started up again. I always have the Bathroom window open, but have sometimes closed it to see if containing the steam/wet would make the Extractor more efficient and run quieter. I have tried pulling the cord for the 'faster' setting, leaving this on for a few minutes then pulling it again in the hope it will 're-set' itself to the 'quiet' mode. The guartantee for the works done is now over a year old, and short of finding a shotgun and giving this ****ing thing both barrels I am at a loss what to do. Could the Extractor seen in the attached photo be changed easily to attach to the rest of the system which is in the loft or would it mean the whole lot would have to be changed? Many thanks any suggestions

Attachments

• P1000436.jpg
    P1000436.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 387
Sponsored Links
you can probably fit a ducted inline fan. They can be quieter and more powerful. Please go in the loft and photograph your ducting and what you can see of the wiring.

it's also possible that you have a condensation problem. Does water ever drip out?

BTW a bathroom extractor works best when the door and window are CLOSED.

Can you identify your model?
http://www.envirovent.com/specifier/products/kitchen-and-bathroom-extract-fans/

Last edited:
I think the fan speed will be humidity controlled. At this time of year the humidity is generally higher, so the fan can't really reduce it by clearing the air.
If you're not seeing condensation them you can usually adjust the threshold higher in autumn.
If you are, then you'd do as well to follow John's advice and look into alternative fans.
Another option if you do have condensation, one that we use, is to stick a mains powered dehumidifier in the bathroom for a couple of hours after showering with the window closed. That also has the benefit of keeping the heat in the house although of course you use some electricity. Good luck!

Condensation hasn't been mentioned; just that the fan runs for hours.
If it has a humidity control set too low, then it will run for ever.
The fan may not even be necessary.

If you have condensation problems (especially with a window) then it's probably due to more fundamental problems and a fan won't help and a dehumidifier is not really the answer.

Sponsored Links
I know it want mentioned but that's why those fans exist so since I had time I covered all the bases:unsure:

And trust me the dehumidifier helps really well, although admittedly the fundamental problem is I like a warm shower in a room that's warmer than outside! But I'm not changing that any time soon:LOL:

you can probably fit a ducted inline fan. They can be quieter and more powerful. Please go in the loft and photograph your ducting and what you can see of the wiring.

it's also possible that you have a condensation problem. Does water ever drip out?

BTW a bathroom extractor works best when the door and window are CLOSED.

Can you identify your model?
http://www.envirovent.com/specifier/products/kitchen-and-bathroom-extract-fans/
Many Thanks, our fan is the first one in the list and no we do not have any condensation problems or any dripping

I think the fan speed will be humidity controlled. At this time of year the humidity is generally higher, so the fan can't really reduce it by clearing the air.
If you're not seeing condensation them you can usually adjust the threshold higher in autumn.
If you are, then you'd do as well to follow John's advice and look into alternative fans.
Another option if you do have condensation, one that we use, is to stick a mains powered dehumidifier in the bathroom for a couple of hours after showering with the window closed. That also has the benefit of keeping the heat in the house although of course you use some electricity. Good luck!
Thanks, we do not have any condensation (the bathroom clears ok) but our fan does not have anywhere to adjust it as such, only the pull cord to make it go faster ! ?

Condensation hasn't been mentioned; just that the fan runs for hours.
If it has a humidity control set too low, then it will run for ever.
The fan may not even be necessary.

If you have condensation problems (especially with a window) then it's probably due to more fundamental problems and a fan won't help and a dehumidifier is not really the answer.
I do not know if it has an internal humidity control setting ?

John D v

I wasn't referring to your post, John, just the facts.

However:
The fans are, I believe, more a requirement for removing smells (although why the Local Authority should be involved in that beats me).
They will not prevent or remove condensation if there is a fundamental problem causing condensation such as tropical conditions in the rest of the premises and a cooler bathroom.

I have never had a fan in any of my bathrooms (really can't stand the noise) and never had a problem with condensation.
When bathing or showering the room steams up (just surface, no dripping) and ten minutes after finishing it is clear.

Thanks, we do not have any condensation (the bathroom clears ok) but our fan does not have anywhere to adjust it as such, only the pull cord to make it go faster ! ?
Then you don't need a fan - except for the smells bit ???

Disconnect it? Rewire so that cord stops it? Fit new token fan and wire it to work however you want?

I meant drip out of the fan. There are brown marks on it. Or is that cigarette smoke deposits? Steam can condense in uninsulated duct, especially if it passes through a cold roofspace.

John D v

I wasn't referring to your post, John, just the facts.

However:
The fans are, I believe, more a requirement for removing smells (although why the Local Authority should be involved in that beats me).
They will not prevent or remove condensation if there is a fundamental problem causing condensation such as tropical conditions in the rest of the premises and a cooler bathroom.

I have never had a fan in any of my bathrooms (really can't stand the noise) and never had a problem with condensation.
When bathing or showering the room steams up (just surface, no dripping) and ten minutes after finishing it is clear.
Fair enough, preventing condensation is a balance between heating, ventilation and insulation, so if you can fix it without noisy fans bussing away then that's great. In our case fans don't help!
Toilet fans are for smell, but building regs allow humidistats on other fans became they're to control moisture.
But anyway as you and the op say, condensation is not an issue in this case, so he can disconnect the fan!

preventing condensation is a balance between heating, ventilation and insulation,
You left out one thing - creating excess humidity.

Closed kitchen with pans simmering,
Drying washing indoors,
Wiping condensation but leaving saturated cloths lying around,
Lots of people,
Lots animals,
Lots of plants,
Bathroom cooler than other rooms,
A small unnoticed leak.

...having a steamy shower with no extraction.

Not really, no. It is the constant things which lead to excess humidity and troublesome condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back