Noisy radiator and pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. I recently had a plumber change a few radiators in my house. There are now 2 radiators causing problems.

The boiler is set on a temperature switch which causes the boiler to switch on and off when the temperature falls below the required temperature. The radiator in the passage which is the original old radiator makes a rushing sound every time the boiler switches on. It sounds like stones rushing through the radiator. What is causing this and how can it be fixed?

The radiator in the bedroom which is a new one that was fitted makes a loud hammering noise every so often which seems to be coming from the valve or pipe close to the valve on the rad and the only way to stop it is to adjust the temperature valve on the radiator. When i turn the valve on the radiator it makes a loud click when i reach no 2 setting on the valve. What could be causing this?

I have also noticed that the pressure on the boiler is around 2, is this too high and if so how do i lower the pressure? What could be causing the pressure to go up to 2 bar?

Is it possible to disconnect the temperature control on the boiler so that it works on the timer? Would I be able to do this myself or would it need to be done by a boiler engineer?

Any advice would be much appreciated as the noise from the radiators are waking me every night and we did not experience these problems until the new radiators were fitted.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Please help. I recently had a plumber change a few radiators in my house. There are now 2 radiators causing problems.

The boiler is set on a temperature switch which causes the boiler to switch on and off when the temperature falls below the required temperature. The radiator in the passage which is the original old radiator makes a rushing sound every time the boiler switches on. It sounds like stones rushing through the radiator. What is causing this and how can it be fixed?

Have you bled all the radiators fully? Do this when the system is not running.

The radiator in the bedroom which is a new one that was fitted makes a loud hammering noise every so often which seems to be coming from the valve or pipe close to the valve on the rad and the only way to stop it is to adjust the temperature valve on the radiator. When i turn the valve on the radiator it makes a loud click when i reach no 2 setting on the valve. What could be causing this?

Do you mean this is a new installation or just a new replacement rad?
Possibly the pipes have moved slightly when the new rad was fitted or the new pipes have not been given enough room to expand. Either way when the pipes heat up and expand they rub on the joists/floor boards and make that noise.

I have also noticed that the pressure on the boiler is around 2, is this too high and if so how do i lower the pressure? What could be causing the pressure to go up to 2 bar?

If that is pressure when hot that is OK. What boiler is it?

Is it possible to disconnect the temperature control on the boiler so that it works on the timer? Would I be able to do this myself or would it need to be done by a boiler engineer?

You don't have a room stat or a timer then?

Any advice would be much appreciated as the noise from the radiators are waking me every night and we did not experience these problems until the new radiators were fitted.

Thanks
Andrew

What kind of boiler/system do you have?

Sponsored Links

Have you bled all the radiators fully? Do this when the system is not running.

Yes the radiators were bled but when the system was running. After reading other entries on this site I checked the valves on the radiators and found that they were fitted on the wrong side. Once I have got the plumber to rectify should the radiators be bled before the system is running?

Do you mean this is a new installation or just a new replacement rad?
Possibly the pipes have moved slightly when the new rad was fitted or the new pipes have not been given enough room to expand. Either way when the pipes heat up and expand they rub on the joists/floor boards and make that noise.

It was a replacement radiator but the pipes under the floor were moved. Do you think moving the valves could solve the problem? If not will I need to lift the floor to solve the problem?

If that is pressure when hot that is OK. What boiler is it?

Yes the pressure goes up to about 2 bar when the boiler is running but around 1.2-1.5 when off. The boiler is a Halstead Ace combination boiler.

You don't have a room stat or a timer then?

There is a timer on the boiler and a thermostat attached to the wall in the passage. I set the timer and turned the thermostat to max. The timer is working as the boiler runs to the correct cycle set but when it is running a cycle it powers on and off every 2 to 3 mins. Is this normal? Should it not run continiously during the cycle?

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated. I wish I had known about this website a few weeks ago

Thanks
Andrew

What kind of boiler/system do you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back