Noisy Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new combi boiler installed just over a year ago and I have noticed that the panel radiator in my living room has begun making a worrying sound which I can only describe as being as if iron filings are running through it, a sort of crinkling sound. It is intermittent and probably has something to do with the flow of water as it's being pumped around the system. I have cleared all air from the radiators so it's not that. Could it be rust residue trapped in the radiator? It's over 20 years old. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Sponsored Links
When they installed the boiler, did they powerflush the system? Also, did they add inhibitor?

Sounds like it could well be rust. If you can remove the radiator and take it outside to flush through with a hose, then it may help.

Its not expansion and contraction noise is it. One of the rads in my lounge has lost the plastic pieces that fit where the rad hangs on the brackets. Drives 'er indoors mad.

Thanks for the response Dextrous. Yes they did and we also had a Magnaclean unit fitted.
Thanks also to Whitespirit66, it's a possibility I suppose, however it never used to make this sound over the previous 12 years. It's only since the new boiler has been fitted. - and the plumber also fitted thermostatic radiator valves during the installation.

Sponsored Links
Well the best thing to do is next time the radiator makes the noise unscrew the trv head does the noise stop? :).

Sticking trv is more likely to be a hammering/juddering sound.

If the rad is mounted on brackets without the plastic inserts-as stated previously-the rad makes a 'pinging' noise as it expands/contracts.

I'm doubtful about the trv. The sound the radiator makes is a crinkley sort of sound. If it was due to expansion /contraction you would probably experience the same clicking sound one hears when the radiator is heating up. This sound is very different, almost like a wave of iron filings is passing through. Is there any way I can place a recording of the sound on the forum as an attachment? I can see that images can be uploaded what about sounds?

Get the system hot flushed and judge the water visibility or even take a sample and get it posted for anylisis.

If the "crinkling" is quicker when warming up than cooling down, it is almost certainly expansion/contraction.

@op

Did you solve the noise problem that you were having? The reason why I ask is that I have exactly the same problem. I have a small radiator with a TRV. Every 10-15 mins there is a crinkling noise that lasts no more than a second or two.

The noise sounds like expansion of the radiator. But rather than thermal expansion, the duration of the noise suggests that it caused by a sudden change in pressure within the radiator. Having said that, I have closed the TRV, waited until the radiator cools and then opened up the TRV to full. The radiator heats as expected but does not make the crinkling noise during heating. Only after the radiator is at at max temp for about 10-15 mins does the noise first appear. This would seem to suggest that it has nothing to do with hydraulic pressure. Otherwise, surely it would make the noise as soon as I opened the TRV?

I should say that I took the radiator off the wall in order to wallpaper. I had just moved into the flat, so I have no idea if it was previously making the noise. Now I didn't flush the radiator when I had the chance, but the water coming out looked pretty damn clear (the cleanest I have ever seen from a radiator - no black stuff or any solid matter whatsoever). So the noise is unlikely to be caused by material moving within the radiator. Besides, the noise sounds very much like the radiator body is expanding.

The plastic tabs are missing from the mounting brackets (I can see behind the radiator). So it is possible that the noise is from thermal expansion. But would thermal expansion create this particular type of noise? The noise is periodic (every 10-15 mins) and last about a second.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

it`s a short lived noise :?: . I`ll bet it`s when the - pump starts or stops - Yet I don`t know why it happens in some systems :oops: It does it here , and yet the system was powerflushed etc. before we moved in . A total mystery to me , and I`ve been fitting heating for a while .( Not boilers since CORGI/Gas safe came in though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back