Non-paying customers - advice needed

kevplumb said:
you where lucky m8 the git had my legs :cry:

Sorry kev mate its bloody tuff when it happens, when mine came up I very nearly lost the house over the money I had spent out on mats for that so called mate of mine who would and I quote " rather see himself go skint that **** me over" Yeah Right

andd THATS when I paid a soliciter about £400 per hour to tell me that unless the verbal contract had been witness by a third party (ies) then I had nowt to go at him with.

I will buy you a pint one day and we can run the buggers down together

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
I will buy you a pint one day and we can run the b*****r down together

suppose he does get run over, you are now chief suspect :LOL:

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i am trying to point out that yes, we all feel sorry for the poster, we have all done it (or similar) but unless you are qualified in the law, have all the facts etc etc etc (in triplicate because that it what solicitors seem to do)
then there is nothing we can do, apart form suggest the poster gets legal advice.

which is why i mentioned item 16

The poster mearly asked if he had a leg to stand on before contacting a solicitor.

I was pointing out that a verbal contract is a gentlemans agreement and forms a contract that can be challenged in the law courts.

Non payer, shoot the b******d.

I have said before, be careful of rented properties, particularly where the landlords accent sounds like an outboard motor putt putt putt, if they say the tenant will pay you make sure this is the case and check with the tenant BEFORE work, we all been done before.

Oddly, I have never failed to be paid for a job. This may be because of the high quality of my work ;) , or maybe because of my 'paying hammer'. I would love to know the original purpose of this tool, but it weighs about six pounds is flat on oneside and diamond shaped on t'other.
Despite having dealt with people who 'know their law' and are used to wriggling out of payment - I have always found that they pay when faced with a) having their plumbing removed b) their faces stoved in..
It may be rough justice but it works...
The hammer is mightier than the pen.

My advice would be just to make life difficult for him.

knock him up at 3 in the morning, maybe let him know you are going to ask the police to press charges for theft (he let you into his property then stole all your materials and some tools etc.)

If the property is occupied it would be tempting to turn off the water at the boundary box when every one is asleep don't get caught or admit to it though.

doitall said:
The poster mearly asked if he had a leg to stand on
you or I are not qualified to answer that question, at best we can do is offer opinions which may or may not be correct, hence i refer and again i refer to item 16

we do not know the cirumstances, or all the facts, i know you are trying to be helpful, but look at it this way.

......yes your honour, some bloke on a forum, by the name of "doitall" said it was ok for me to.........."

so may i ask that next time similar arises you refer them to item 16

all very interesting mate but you STILL have to prove to the beak such an agreement was made!!!!

Not the case atall.

You phoned me to do a job, you let me in.

That is a contract

My wifes parents were horse traders, a contract is the shack of hands, that is the law and it still stands.

You may recall in the papers not long back, a guy had an interview for a vacant post and was offered the job, he handed his notice in and turned up to start work only to be told they had decided not to fill the vacancy and he wasn't wanted.

The Court ruled in his favour with a sizeable compensation for loss of income.

i have worked in a solicitors, doesnt make me a solictor though does it?

so neither are you, so if you are not qualified as a solictor, please do not give advice which may or may not be correct. (i have worked in a solicitors, so i can say the comment regarding that you are not qualified)

breezer said:
doitall said:
The poster mearly asked if he had a leg to stand on
you or I are not qualified to answer that question, at best we can do is offer opinions which may or may not be correct, hence i refer and again i refer to item 16

we do not know the cirumstances, or all the facts, i know you are trying to be helpful, but look at it this way.

......yes your honour, some bloke on a forum, by the name of "doitall" said it was ok for me to.........."

so may i ask that next time similar arises you refer them to item 16

If you read the rest you will see that advice given on the forum is just that, how the information is used is purely academic, the poster must make his own choice and proceed accordingly.

We offer advice on any number of questions, that sometimes promotes safety but more often than not the enthusiast will carry on regardless.

The poster in this instance is a tradesman and if I may say so not entirely stupid, he knows what he did and asked a simple question.

Should you read it he also mentioned the small claims Court, they and onlly they will decide the outcome.

breezer said:
i have worked in a solicitors, doesnt make me a solictor though does it?

so neither are you, so if you are not qualified as a solictor, please do not give advice which may or may not be correct. (i have worked in a solicitors, so i can say the comment regarding that you are not qualified)

The advice I know to be correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back