non paying landlord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best way to get money off a landlord who owes me the balance of a job .hes ignoring phonecalls, messages and invoice reminders

Sponsored Links
there was that programme where the guy demolished the extension he built.but you have to be carefull with tresspassing and vandalism.you know what the p.c brigade is like.you cant even defend your own these days.

have you got his address?

you could try turning up at his and have a few of the boys just sitting in the car,that way you aint threatening him but letting him know you know where he lives

Sponsored Links
Afraid that's not the case.

Legally you need to take him to court, but even then you may not get your money. Whatever you do, be careful since dealing with rogue customers in the way that they should be dealt can lead you into hot water quite quickly.

there are those debt recovery agencies that hound them night and day

they want a % of the monies owed so it depends how much he owes you.

You can't take your materials back if they are fixed to the infrastucture of the house , e.g boiler on wall e.c.t , as they are no longer your property ,

the bloke who demolished a conservatory , got away with it because it was a council house , he approached the council & asked if he could have his property back the council agreed , if the house had been owned by the customer & he attempted to knock it down he could have been arrested for criminal damage !

In certain countries in Europe bad debts are criminal law , as opposed to civil law in the U.K , with the exception of Council Tax !

Small claims court could be a solution. Do you have a written quote and invoices to support any monies you have spent.
If you threaten him with this make sure you follow through or he will hold out and repeated threats can be costrewed as intimidation.
Write to him in the first instance telling him your course of action.

have you got his address?

you could try turning up at his and have a few of the boys just sitting in the car,that way you aint threatening him but letting him know you know where he lives

If you're going to do that then do it when he's least expecting a call - around 2am.

whats the best way to get money off a landlord who owes me the balance of a job .hes ignoring phonecalls, messages and invoice reminders
Debt recovery service - as suggested. And tell all the tradespeople you know ..Easy with texts etc. nowadays. Spread the word and let the @sole know that you are doing it .

Google "Thomas Higgins partnership"...they are big solicitors (debt recovery) they do an online demand letter template for a couple of quid..
Normally when a solicitors letter lands people become more co-operative.

Ive only had that happen once, Landlord blanked my calls-emails etc so I returned unannounced to the rented property 2 wks after fitting conventional boiler, Gas meter was in the porch (which was open). I phoned him & left a message saying there was a smell of Gas and I would have to cap off the meter. To my surprise he called straight back and weighed me in the same day lol.

Small claims court is not really much use because although you should get judgement it still does not produce the money!

Worse, if he chooses to defend your claim he will pretend it was not done correctly, there were gas leaks and he had to pay someone else to correct it.

The answer is to never do work for non resident owners unless paid with cash at the time you do the work.

If you keep calling at his house then YOU could be prosecuted by the police for hgarassment. Somehow debt collectors seem to be immune to that problem.

Most debt collectors work on the basis of adding their charges to the balance owed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back