Non-RCD protected circuits

C

ColinJacobson

I recall someone here in the past few days wrote that from 2008 all circuit must RCD protected. Under the current regs, is it possible to have an non-RCD protected circuit? Benefits arise from Alarms and freezers from non RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Surely it applies to NEW circuits anyway, not existing ones, if that's what's on your mind.....

Sponsored Links
Surely it applies to NEW circuits anyway, not existing ones, if that's what's on your mind.....

You write, "surly". OK:

1. In a brand new install what is it?
2. Replacing a CU, what is it?

Of course it is possible - do you have a copy of BS7671:2008 to hand ?

No. That is why I asked. ;)
Why don't you get one? And a copy of the OSG and a decent guide to the regulations such as Whitfield?

You seem keen on the importance of the regulations, and want to be able to give advice yourself, so I would have thought that owning and studying publications like that would be a sine qua non.

Don't you?

There's a good recommended reading list here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:books

In the meantime you'll find an answer to this specific question here: http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/mag/2008/27-cablesinwall.cfm?type=pdf

If the cable is at better than 50mm depth, if it's contained (in wall) in earthed metal conduit, if the cable is a type with a protective foil / armour or if the cable is surface run (clipped direct or even in mini trunking) RCD or RCBO's are not necessary.

As you mention there are certain circuits which may benefit from not being on RCD / RCBO's .
Earth leaky devices, smoke detection and fridge / freezers.

If the cable is at better than 50mm depth, if it's contained (in wall) in earthed metal conduit, if the cable is a type with a protective foil / armour or if the cable is surface run (clipped direct or even in mini trunking) RCD or RCBO's are not necessary.

As you mention there are certain circuits which may benefit from not being on RCD / RCBO's .
Earth leaky devices, smoke detection and fridge / freezers.

Thanks. Back to my prime point. Just to confirm, so do not require RCD protection then? That is what you were writing. ;)

This is discussion forum, not a book referral site.
But the books are very relevant to topics discussed on these forums.

Do you think that people here should be expected to always look things up for you, or type them out for you?

Are you averse to buying and reading books like that? If so can you explain how such a position is not at odds with you wanting to give advice?

As this is an advice forum, do you think that there should be a Wiki with reference material in it or not? If you do think that the Wiki, or the concept of having reference material, is good can you explain why such reference material should not include recommendations on books people can buy to expand their knowledge?

I'd like you to note, BTW, that I didn't only suggest books to you and not provide an answer to your question.

Thanks. Back to my prime point. Just to confirm, so do not require RCD protection then? That is what you were writing. ;)
There are full and definitive details of the requirements in that Wiring Matters article I linked to - did you not read it?

That answer is partial and rather misleading. those are the rules for whether CABLES need RCD protection but you also need to consider RCD protection of the sockets on the end of them.

Any sockets intended for general use and below a certain current rating (don't remember the rating off the top of my head but it's certainly above the rating of normal domestic sockets) require RCD protection. What counts as intended for general use is somewhat open to interpretation but a non-rcd socket behind a freezer and suitably labeled as non-rcd is probablly ok. This is also a consideration when putting a cooker on non-rcd as many cooker control units have a socket on them and being located above a kitchen worktop would definately count as intended for general use.

I recall someone here in the past few days wrote that from 2008 all circuit must RCD protected. Under the current regs, is it possible to have an non-RCD protected circuit? Benefits arise from Alarms and freezers from non RCD protection.

To say 'all' circuits must be RCD protected is generalising a bit too much.

Fitting RCBOs on alarm and freezer circuits rather than relying on an RCD which protects multiple circuits would be an improvement, as it will protect concealed wiring; and no other circuit could cause it to trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back