Nonmaterial amanedment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could someone help me with the non material amendment regulations. I discussed an amendment at our local planning office and it was suggested that I submit a non material amendment and they also gave me the form. I've just been informed that as I already live in the house (incidentally not signed off) I need to apply for full planning permission. Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi ,
It was a new house and we moved in almost 5 years ago. the original planning was for balconies on first floor. Having lived in property we are unlikely to use a full balcony and wish to install Juliet balconies which is the final aspect for us to complete to have sign off. I discussed this with the planning office and it was suggested that I submit a non material amendment. The decision officer has today informed us that we need to submit a full planning application as we are already resident in the property.

Sponsored Links
If you had permission for balconies already, then Juliet balconies are no worse, and have less impact, so you should not have to submit anything to planners - other than a non-material amendment if you wish. But I can't see how planners would be concerned with your proposal if you did not bother - unless this is a listed building or in a designated area.

I can't understand the planners advice. You should only eed to submit a full planning application if they think that this is in fact a material amendment which requires consultation.

A non material amendment is a request to vary a scheme in a way that has no material planning considerations. In essence the planner is recommendig you pay the planning department some money to have them confirm that they aren't at all interested in your amendment one way or the other

councils have plannig policies, rules about how local houses should be developed. When a policy has something to say about how a house should be or look it means there is a material consideration. Material here doesn't mean bricks or render, it means significant and explicit. For your planner to tell you to submit a no material amendment, it means that there aren't any relevant policies that dictate why you should or should not have that feature on your planned scheme. So, after being told "we aren't interested. If you pay us some money we will write this in a letter" why would you pay it? Why not just do it?

Well.. You can. Some people do. Other people sleep better knowing they have the councils blessing, or that they have a piece of paper they can wave at the neighbour who is looking to make trouble, complaining to anyone who will listen that you didn't build to the submitted plan.

Which sort of person you are, of course, is for you to know..

Thank you for the responses. The property is not listed but is in AONB. Here is the response to my application:

Your application has not been accepted for the following reasons:
· As the original application has been built to plan and the
accommodation is being lived in, a Non-Material Amendment application cannot be applied for as the works approved have been done. Therefore if you wish to change the balconies a Householder Planning Application with all relevant application forms, plans, documentation and fee must be submitted and applied for. The fee for a Householder Application is £172.00.

To my naive mind I thought that as I do not have a sign off from the planning officer who stipulated that we needed to install the balconies prior to sign off I disagree with the statement that the "the works approved have been done"

Just put the Juliette balconies in and forget about Planning!!!

Don't help finance your planning department's next Christmas party by paying them for a meaningless bit of paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back