Norman 1's post (crimps)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi mate .thanks for replying ..i bought a tower crimp tool connector kit .the general opinion is that i should not use these type of crimps on ac supply ..only dc !!!the idea was to extend the flex on the electric fire without haveing to take the fire apart the joint would be housed in mini trunking to a switch fuse c/u the misleading thing is that some say dont use crimps and some say they are fine to use .i would appreciate your advice .
regards
norm

norman 1 Please STOP asking questions in other peoples threads, please start your own.
I have deleted the duplicate post you started (lectrician and b-a-s had replied to it)

Sponsored Links
Why not just use a proper flex connector like this:

BG458.JPG

hi mate cheers for replying . it looks and sounds a better option .i`m annoyed that the bloke at my local B&Q said the crimps would be fine for the job ..
stormin norm

What the fck,

My post, and others have gone??

This thread makes NO sence now??

Lectrician, please see note at top ;)

Sponsored Links
norman 1 said:
hi mate cheers for replying . it looks and sounds a better option .i`m annoyed that the bloke at my local B&Q said the crimps would be fine for the job ..
stormin norm
Oh I just can't resist...

This wasn't the bloke, was it....

1109098797_B&QMAN.jpg

hi m8 ...i have just sent your pic to diy.com aka B& Q Hhave you given my question any thought .
regards
singe the minge

its not that, your the "crimp kit " you brought to be honest is rubbish and cheap.

look in the for refernce section and you will see waht a decent ratchit crimper looks like.

the question was ..can you use butt connectors for AC applications not who makes the best crimp tool ...READ THE F*****G QUESTION

i did read the question, there was no need to be abusive, its not my fault you wasted your money on cheap crimps is it?

provided the crops are suitablly enclosed they can be used for mains

BUT those squeeze and pray type crimp tools will often give a bad join which is certainly not a safe thing to have in mains wiring.

Check the rating of the fire ie, how many amps against any rating on the flex connector if the fire is higher do not use unless you want a fire

if you read the follow up replies you will see they understood the question the reply was not intended to offend ,it meant you did and still do not understand the question !!! all i needed to know was ,can butt connectors be used in ac applications ..i repeat not what tool i should use .....and just to say thank you to the others for replying who clearly understood the question

norman 1 said:
if you read the follow up replies you will see they understood the question the reply was not intended to offend ,it meant you did and still do not understand the question !!! all i needed to know was ,can butt connectors be used in ac applications ..i repeat not what tool i should use .....and just to say thank you to the others for replying who clearly understood the question

yes, they cab be used for AC, altho i must agree with the other replies on here, and remind you to use proper ratchet crimps, not the squeeze 'n' hope crimps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back