Not a blown Fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turning on a light last night appeared to have \\\"blown a fuse\\\". But having checked the fuses, nothing is broken.
Yet none of the lights work.
When I turned on the light, a green spark came from the switch and a bang noise.

Any ideas? Time to call a sparky?

Sponsored Links
Seems odd that a problem at one switch could stop all the lights from working and not result in a fuse blowing.

The fact that you say fuse would indicate that this isn't a recent installation, so the lighting circuit would not run from switch to switch.

Time to turn off the power, remove the switch, and see what's what. Given how cheap they are you might as well buy a replacement for the switch, just in case. Buying a multimeter at the same time would be a good idea, but given that you posted here before even taking a look do you, perhaps, have no knowledge of electrics?

Doing all this is not difficult, but if you don't feel confident then call an electrician.

Thanks for replying, and you're correct - little knowledge here.

It's a fuse wire box rather than a new switch style one, mid 70's. A new fuse box is on the list to do, perhaps I'd better re-prioritise that.

I would check the fuse closely again. With re-wireable fuses it is best to try and remove the fusewire to see if it is broken in the part of the holder where you can't see the wire or near the screw.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to get an electrician in to fix the lights, have him do a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) at the same time - it'll cost less than having the two things done separately, and you need to do the latter before you have the fusebox replaced, as you need to know what else should be done to the wiring. And if that involves any cable replacement you might like to know that before you do any decoration you have planned rather than after...

BJS Spark is right, old style rewirable fuses can be blown even though they might look fine. Replace the fuse wire (with the correct type of fuse wire - more than likely 5A - very thin stuff) and replace. I would suspect that this will cure your problem, or blow again straight away if the part of the circuit in fault is still connected via the switch (ie switch is on).

Make sure you turn the main switch off at the fuseboard before removing and replacing the fuse. When these old style fuses go, they can make a fairly spectacular bang and flash!

BAS is also right, and even if this cures your problem, with an old style fuse board a PIR is also very desirable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back