Not as much stored hot water as normal but CH is ok...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've what seems on the surface to be a bit of an odd problem with my hot water. When you first open up a hot tap after a bit of time, there is a build up of pressure so the water comes out at very high force, but this settles down straight away and the water is piping hot.

The problem is most noticeable in both of my Bristan Pisa Mixer showers. Again, there is a build up of pressure for a few seconds, which makes the shower control hard to turn on, but this disappears right away. You get hot water for around 5-7 minutes and then it fades to lukewarm as if it has run out.

If I run a normal basin or sink tap the water is hotter, but nothing like as hot as I would expect because I can place my hand under the tap (and normally the water is too hot for this).

The details of the system are as follows.

Potterton Suprima 40 boiler - setup as standard CH system.
Santon Premier Unvented Hot Water Cylinder
Small cold water feeder tank in the loft.
2 zone valves (One each for HW and CH)
Lifestyle Programmer

The system is around 13 years old but has been working fine for the last 2 years and no work or maintenance has been done, nothing has been added/removed or replaced.

I thought there might be an airlock somewhere as I thought I could heard gurgling in the radiators, but when I opened the two bleed valves at teh top of the HW tank (Which is the highest point on my system) there was no air and only water.

The boiler is operating normally, cycling on and off as expected. Its not kettling or cutting out and the heating to the radiators is working as normal - indicated by the fact they are too hot to be able to touch if they are up at their maximum TRV setting.

The only other thing I have noticed is that the expansion vessel overflow pipe seems to have started dripping. Its not a continual flow of water or anything, just a drip drip drip. Not sure how long this has been happening for. Maybe they are connected?

I also checked my tundish and its dry with no water running.

Do any of the above suggest an issue with the Santon CH cylinder?

I do have service contract cover in place so I can get them out if required but past experience tells me that trying to get to an intermittent fault can be a bit of a nightmare.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back