Not Heard of This New One

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New Car Tax Rules & You

Car tax discs are being scrapped on 1st October when you can remove it from your windscreen and throw it away!
However, some very important new rules kick in on the same date which you MUST obey if you want to avoid a massive fine:
You DO still need to tax your vehicle: the DVLA will store details electronically and number plate recognition cameras will identify anyone driving without valid tax.
You can pay by Direct Debit from 1st November, and you'll keep paying until you tell the DVLA you no longer have your vehicle. You can choose to pay monthly, annually or bi-annually but you'll pay 5% more if you spread the cost.
Selling your car? You MUST tell the DVLA straight away or you could be hit with an £80+ fine (it could rise to £1,000). You'll also remain responsible for taxing a vehicle you no longer own and have to pay any fines the buyer gets!
You can't sell your tax disc with your car after the 1st October. Instead, you'll get an automatic refund on any full months remaining and the seller will have to register for vehicle tax themselves.
Buying a car? You MUST tell the DVLA before you drive it (online or via their hotline) or your insurance will be invalid and you could be fined £80 too.
You DO still need to keep your MoT disc if you live in Northern Ireland.
You can tax or SORN your vehicle online or by phone (there's a 24/7 hotline) but be careful of fakes, go direct to the Gov.UK website.

Sponsored Links
Only problem I can foresee, is someone buying a secondhand car. Yes you'd insure before you buy, but can't then tax it until you have the actual documents,or DVLA can check whether it's insured Remember, not everyone is as internet savvy as the rest of us, and some people don't have access to, nor even know how to use a computer. There's nothing wrong with the system we have at present, (for law abiding citizens only)
Are the government now going to cover all roads with ANPR cameras ? Plus, if your selling your car, is the onus now on you to check the buyer has insurance and has made the necessary arrangements to ensure the vehicle is taxed? (before DVLA hit you with an £80+ fine) ??? Don't think the government have really thought these changes through,,,, have they??

Just looked at the link Doug (thanks) There's nothing on there about insuring a vehicle, before taxing it. Are we to assume that if I buy a second hand vehicle after Oct 1st, I can tax it over the phone without insurance? Surely something's very wrong, if this is indeed the case, as driving without insurance is probably a worse offence than driving without tax or MOT. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
How does your insurance become invalid with no tax?

I always understood that you weren't insured if you didn't have an MOT. Makes sense, as if your car isn't MOT'd, theres nothing to say that it is in a roadworthy condition. Don't understand how insurance companies can wriggle out for no tax.

This new system seems unnecessarily bureaucratic.

The current online process to tax a car only checks for a valid MOT not insurance, so I don't think the new process changes that.

Not correct Doug, I couldn't tax my car as the insurance had lapsed.

Yes. agree with that. Same system as now, no ins = no new tax disc.

Interesting to know what happens if the tax lapses on a car with valid ins and MOT. Does driving it on the road mean that you aren't insured?

Yet another retrograde step from an inept goverment department, why change something that has served us well for countless years. as stated not everyone is computer literate, how does this make it easier for them?
They say it's to reduce costs, in essence it's a way for them to make even more money, from the confused people who inadvertantely break the rules.

Wotan

I don't think it has anything to do with the people being computer literate.

The point is that DVLA and VOSA are doing everything by Number Plate Recognition and Insurance and MoT databases.

Of couse, your neighbours won't be able to tell if your car is taxed any more.

Number plate recognition would not confirm that the driver is insured,

Most car insurance policies cover a driver"third party" to drive another vehicle, so how is that going to work ?

Just to clarify a couple of misconceptions.
You can drive a vehicle with insurance, but without MOT and tax, e.g. back and fore to MOT station, and back and fore to repairs station (for MOT work). Soemtimes, even for warming the engine pior to the test (for CAT testing, etc.)

Also, the misconception that insurance is invalid without MOT is precisely that, a misconception. If, however, you drive a vehicle that is obviously not roadworthy, your insurance may refuse to cover your "1st" party costs. MOTs do not ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy.

Third party clauses usually require the "other" vehicle to have an insurance policy, in its own right, applicable to the vehicle. E.G, if my insurance has a third party clause to drive other vehicles, I can drive a vehicle belonging to A N Other (this may be an additional clause) if that vehicle has a valid insurance policy pertaining to it. If not, my third party clause is insufficient. Similarly, if that other vehicle belongs to me, my third party clause may not cover it, unless it has its own valid insurance policy covering someone else.

Further, the MID is not infallible, merely a guide. If your vehicle does not show on the MID it is your responsibility to prove that it is insured, e.g. by paper documents, phone calls, etc.
To highlight a scenario, all insurances automatically provide Third Party cover within other EU countries. If I was re-registering foreign vehicle onto UK plates, I could continue with my foreign insurance until it lapsed, but it would not appear on the MID.

Just to clarify a couple of misconceptions.
You can drive a vehicle with insurance, but without MOT and tax, e.g. back and fore to MOT station, and back and fore to repairs station (for MOT work). Soemtimes, even for warming the engine pior to the test (for CAT testing, etc.)

Just to clarify your misconception of a misconception this has been discussed elsewhere. Do not assume you are covered with no MOT.

//www.diynot.com/forums/automotives/vehicle-tax-and-mot-renewal-question.405561/

Sponsored Links
Back