Not sure what to do about this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of doing up our kitchen, lighting and ceiling are done next is the walls which is where i have a bit of a issue

the previous owners mixed up there own colour (i found the evidence in the attic when we moved in) and it looks like they used it straight onto new plaster, i can peel off flaking bits to shown bear plaster

what is my best option, do i keep peeling it off? will i need to mist coat it as its at least 7 years old

Thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
i can peel off flaking bits to shown bear plaster...
...what is my best option,

In an ideal world removing it all would be best, but of course, this depends on how loose the paint is. I would recommend peeling off all loose or blistering paint until you get to some that is solidly adhered (if any), then stop and feather the edges of the paint in with a fine surface filler.
If the peeling is localised, you could skim-fill over the entire area using a wide bladed filling/jointing knife.
It might be wise to seal the bare plaster with a mist coat before using any filler as some do not adhere to bare plaster very well when applied thinly.
Sand the filler smooth, dust off and lightly paint with the existing colour, if possible, to give yourself a nice evenly coloured base to work on.

If you have trouble finding well adhered paint, and don't want to strip the entire area, you could try something like Zinsser Peelstop to bind down the loose edges but I'm not sure if it is suitable for use on bare plaster so best to check before buying.

http://zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=360

Thanks for that

i will remove all peeling paint, i have some paint left over from when i mist coated the new ceiling a few weeks ago, i wasnt sure if old bare plaster reacted in same way as fresh plaster

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back