NTE2000 ADSL Filtered Facelplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to fit an NTE2000 adsl filtered faceplate.
I'm no expert so apologies if my terminology is wrong.

Basically, I've bought a replacement for the bottom half of the bt master socket which has an adsl filter built into it.

On the back of the faceplate I've bought is an IDC connector with 6 terminals (2,3,4,5,A,B).

The master socket is in the hall and is never used, all my telephony devices are in the lounge.

I'm trying to tidy up cables tacked to skirting etc etc - so as well as the new faceplate I've also bought some modular sockets, specifically a BT module and an RJ11 module.

I've hooked up pins 2, 3 and 5 on the back of the faceplate to pins 2, 3 and 5 on the phone module and this seems to work fine.

I'm struggling however, to wire up the adsl extension.
I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the A and B terminals.
I'm trying to terminate this at the other end with an RJ11 module.
RJ11 has 6 pins and no amount of trying seems to want to work.
(My router will not connect).

From what I've read B goes to 2 and A to 5 but this just doesn't work.
Is that it? or have I missed something.

If that is it, then honestly, it's not working.
Anyone have any advice on trying to diagnose the issue?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You didn't say if it was A to 4 and B to 5 or vice versa.

Anyway, I tried both and still no luck :(

thanks anyway, any more suggestions?

Are the A and B on the new faceplate the same as the A and B on the master socket? I know you're not supposed to play with those but I was just wondering if you were to wire an extension off of those and terminate it with an RJ11 what pins would you use on the RJ11?

I've also got some logic nagging me that says if you look closely at the RJ11 that came with the router there are only 2 wires visible and it seems like they're in the middle. Does this mean they're in 3 and 4??

Thanks again.

RJ11 connections (single line) use the middle pair of contacts, so if the jack you have is a true 6-position type (for RJ11/14/25) then you need to connect the line to 3 & 4. The standard is tip (A) on 4 and ring (B) on 3, but it shouldn't make any difference to the modem/router.

Are the A and B on the new faceplate the same as the A and B on the master socket?

Yes. The A & B terminals on the back of the filter are wired straight from 2 & 5 on the BT431A plug, so they connect directly to the incoming line A & B when the filter/faceplate is in place to provide your DSL signal.

if you were to wire an extension off of those and terminate it with an RJ11 what pins would you use on the RJ11?

Exactly the same as running from the A & B terminals on the filter, since the connection to the modem is identical.
:D

Running a single cable from the NTE to a combination voice/DSL jack, I would normally use the B/W and O/W pairs for the voice extension as usual, then use the G/W pair to extend from the unfiltered A & B terminals to the RJ11.

Sponsored Links
A big thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

I did actually figure it out in the end, but your replies just confirm I got it right.

Kinda obvious really, pins 4 and 5 as recommended before are the middle pair of an RJ45 (8 pin) plug and so it goes with out saying 3 and 4 are the middle pins of an RJ11.

A couple of lessons learnt, apart from the obvious, I've run 2 lengths of Cat5E from the faceplate to the extension sockets - what a numpty - there's enough pairs of wires in 1 cable run to do both! Nevermind.

I've also learnt that the polarity of A and B doesn't matter for ADSL - not actually sure what that means but to me it means it doesn't matter whether you wire A to 3 and B to 4 or vice versa.

Hopefully this will be of use to someone else some time in the future.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Kinda obvious really, pins 4 and 5 as recommended before are the middle pair of an RJ45 (8 pin) plug and so it goes with out saying 3 and 4 are the middle pins of an RJ11.

Yep, quite logical with the pins numbered across the jack. If you want to add to the lessons though, the 8-pin modular jacks commonly used for Ethernet are not RJ45 though, despite the popular misuse of the term (even by manufacturers who should know better).

Also, while a 6-position (RJ11 etc.) plug will fit an 8-position jack, it's not really ideal, and the edges of the smaller plug damage the outer contacts of the jack. It's much better to use the proper 6-position jack, as you have done.

A couple of lessons learnt, apart from the obvious, I've run 2 lengths of Cat5E from the faceplate to the extension sockets - what a numpty - there's enough pairs of wires in 1 cable run to do both! Nevermind.

Ah well, 5 spare pairs for future use..... :D Nothing wrong with using CAT5e, but you didn't have to use that, by the way. Regular CW1308 (internal telephone wire) is fine for DSL.

I've also learnt that the polarity of A and B doesn't matter for ADSL - not actually sure what that means but to me it means it doesn't matter whether you wire A to 3 and B to 4 or vice versa.

In the context of your wiring, that's exactly what it means - Doesn't matter which way round you make the connections.

Little telephone equipment is polarity sensitive these days, but being of the old school I still like to follow the conventions, even if many lines are wired up reversed these days.

Now if you'd done that in the old days of party lines, you would have soon had complaints, since each party would be receiving the other party's call - And paying for the other party's calls. :D

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back