Number/Positions of Smoke Alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many Smoke alarms should there be in standard domestic situation? And where should they be positioned? Has this changed in new regs? I understand it used to be interlinked smokes on each floor, but are more required now?

Sponsored Links
don't think they're stipulated in the electrical regs.. it's more of a building regs thing..

I'd say one in the hallway downstairs, one on each landing in the stairwell ( if the house has more than 1 floor ) and a heat sensor in the kitchen and garage..

No more than 3.5m away from bedroom doors, and on escape routes.

So generally that meansone in the hall and one on the landing!!

huh.. didn't know that..

the manufacturers generally have installation guides that state no closer than 500-1000mm to a wall so that they don't sit in a "blind spot"..

Sponsored Links
I think you are thinking of > 300mm away from anything that could affect the airflow around the detector.

different manufacturers specify different distances..

since I generally do industrial / commercial it's the more professional end of the scale..

but yes >300mm from walls, vents, large chandeliers and such sounds somewhere in the region..

The simplest solution if it is a private house is to phone or pop into your local fire station. They will gladly come round and fit the 10 year life alarms in all the right places for you. FOR FREE!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back