Oak table

Sorry OP I was probably wrong.

But I'm wondering why use cheap oak as the core for the main section of the table surface and not plywood veneered over which should be cheaper still and more stable?

I made a mahogany door that way recently.

Sponsored Links
So in terms of practicality .... What disadvantages does this method present over a solid oak table surface?

Well you've already seen one customer complain about the veneer peeling. Though that might be a one off.
At least they have the honesty to post the complaint.

My own preference would be solid top with a slip tenon for the end sections.

Sponsored Links
I'd rather have solid wood as Norcon says for this type of furniture. I don't really know why they would do them as veneered solid oak, as I said before I can only assume that it gives a better look to the top, while allowing them to mass produce the core.
If you look at the solid wood top it has the odd knot or bit where the grain comes out of the surface. That's what solid oak is like. If you wanted, really good carefully matched quarter sawn English oak to make a top like that, you'd have a large amount of waste, and it would probably cost as much as that table just for the top.
I reckon the solid top is worth the extra but you pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

But I'm wondering why use cheap oak as the core for the main section of the table surface and not plywood

They use oak as otherwise they can't describe it legally as solid oak.

Using veneered plywood might be cheaper, but then they would have to describe it as solid wood with an oak veneer, and that could lower the sale price by more than the savings made using cheaper materials.

They might also be using offcuts as well as crap bits for the core, so the savings might not be as great as you purchasing the materials separately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back