Oak Veneer doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having 4 interior Oak veneer doors installed shortly, and am a bit confused about staining/varnishing etc, firstly is it OK to leave the doors as they are or do they need some sort of finishing off.
Also the manufacturer says not to use oils as it may effect the adhesive on the veneer underneath, I've read on a few web pages that people have used OSMO door oil and had no problems, just wondered if anyone has used oils and what the outcome was.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Its quite a common question on here. The problem is you can void the doors manufacturers warranty. Its a decision you have to make. Most stains will not penetrate deep enough to contact with the adhesive, oils could and varnishes definitely won't. If you like the finish leave them, if you want some protection something like the polyvine decorators varnish (clear) would help. Osmo is very good, quite penetrative though, you could give them a ring.

Ive just fitted several oak faced doors on my hallway. Ive used three coats of Dulux water based Satin Varnish and they look a treat. Ive found if you leave them raw, you can get finger marks and grease into the grain which is difficult to get out later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back