ocean alpha 240p boiler red light comes on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ocean alpha 240p combination boiler,i have a ten year old boiler and every time it gets cold and the demand on the boiler is higher than normal both my hot water and central heating don't work,by that i mean everything comes on as normal ie all the electrical functions work but the red light comes on and the boiler doesn't light and the pilot is lit,now after say a couple of hours with the timer still active the boiler fires up!! help!could it be the little temperature sensor fitted into the output end of the central heating feed pipe?

Sponsored Links
It does sound as if it could be overheating perhaps as a result of a minor fault.

The normal thing would be to measure the resistance of the temperature sensors and for a CORGI to check the gas settings.

Tony

hi thanks for the reply but i know its not overheating.the problem happens at any time even if i have only just opened the tap or put the heating on.this has happened possibly for the last 3 or 4 years i have had plumbers out and they replaced a part either the thermostatic sender unit located in the pipework just inside the boiler or could it be that there's too much pressure in the red,is it an expansion unit,vessel shaped thing towards the top of the boiler with a,what appears to be a one way tyre type valve,it's frustrating as it is something and nothing,don't be fooled by my lack of part names as i am quite competent with the function of the boiler,i plumbed it all in ten years ago. many thanks spen. oh i don't suppose anyone has the correct temperature sensor resistance range so i can test it myself to hopefully find the faulty part!

Sponsored Links
Quite competent, but you have no idea about fault finding, what the parts are called, or how to read the manual?
How and why would you call yourself competent?

Quite competent, but you have no idea about fault finding, what the parts are called, or how to read the manual?
How and why would you call yourself competent?
in response to your rude message sir ... i called in a plumber, who was here for 10 mins and charged me £25,he told me it was the flow switch which i then went out and bought,i fitted it and the problem was still there,however,i managed to further investigate myself ! and it turned out to be a blocked fan full of dust from the quarrying activity in the area,everything is fine now.......pay big money get monkeys!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back